A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Assist/Blind Spot Monitor False Positives

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Side Assist/Blind Spot Monitor False Positives

Anyone else have a problem with false positives on their side assist? Under certain conditions, my right hand light stays on almost all the time. Here's what I've been able to put together as far as conditions:

1. Concrete Highway
2. Speed>50 or so
3. Doesn't matter what lane, even the far right shows a positive almost constantly.

The dealer has looked at it twice. The first time I got the dreaded "Can't replicate". The second time I got the almost as dreaded "recalibrated".

Anyone else? Is the system all radar based or are there cameras as well?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I've only had my S8 for a couple weeks but have been impressed at the accuracy of the side assist. No false positives that I have noticed. Its a 2015 so maybe they've cleaned things up a bit in the last couple years?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Radar sensors. Here's Audi's description of the operation....

"Audi side assist
The Audi side assist lane-change assistant is available for a whole host of Audi models. It monitors traffic behind the vehicle and warns the driver of critical lane changes as necessary.
The system begins to operate at a speed of about 30 km/h (18.64 mph). Two 24 Gigahertz radar sensors at the rear of the vehicle monitor what is happening behind it with a range of up to 70 meters (229.67 feet). A computer evaluates their data.
If they detect another vehicle that is in the critical zone – that is, traveling in the blind spot or quickly approaching from behind – the information stage is activated. A yellow LED indicator lights up in the side mirror housing without disturbing the driver, since the driver only sees it when looking directly at the mirror.
However, if the driver activates the turn signal to change lanes, the indicator becomes brighter and flashes multiple times. This pulsed signal – the warning stage – is very noticeable. In this case, the indicator optics are directed towards the driver. The indicator brightness automatically adjusts for the ambient light conditions, or the driver can individually set its brightness via the MMI operating terminal."

There is also a very tech-heavy Audi training guide on the system that your dealer's service department might print out for you; mine did for me when I originally ordered my 2011 D4, which included Side Assist, ACC and Lane Change Assist. Interesting stuff that details the complexity and components of these systems.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving mine all over metro detroit and next to never have false positives EXCEPT for when you are entering a turnaround/cross-over/u-turn with the blinker on while passing metal signs. This makes the side assist do the triple bright flash for mine but other than that problem it is near perfect accuracy.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problems with my 2010 + another 2010 I owned for a short time, as I understand adaptive cruise, pre sense and lane assist all work together but I'm not sure this is the case with side assist, This does sound like a fault.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have had similar issues. Speed does not seem to impact mine, but there are several locations it consistantly happens. I had a loaner A6 and drove to these locations and no issues. I have had it to the dealer several times for the same reason and they cannot duplicate the problem. When you mention it happens on concrete, this is the same as mine. I am wondering if it has something to do with the rebar in the concrete road surface.

Have you had any luck with resolving this issue?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine finally threw a code that showed a short in the harness to the mirror light. But, they have now had my car for a week and half (over New Years) and they told me they are removing the bumper to replace a sensor. So, we'll see.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had frequent falses from the drivers side "side assist" after getting my car back from the most recent dealer visit to fix the MMI screen just before Christmas. I cannot see how they would be related but the side assist was working fine before the last trip to the dealer.

However, thinking back I remember that one two separate occasions I had a warning screen pop up saying that there was a fault in the Side Assist/Lane Departure system and the system would shut itself off. It only occurred twice during the period of a few days and had been working well since so I brushed it aside. Perhaps it was just a sign of things to come...

I noticed something strange though which may just be a coincidence. After my thorough 2-day exterior detailing the Side Assist seems to have returned back to normal. Could it have just been some dust on the sensor?

Now, unfortunately, I get an "Air Suspension System Fault" warning. It clears every time I shut off the car but alarms again within about 2 miles of driving.

This car continues to be plagued with demons....

After less than 1 year with this car I've reached my limit. I'm going to test drive a Tesla this week.

Last edited by motegi; 01-05-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 2011 side-assist would occasionally register the local Radio Shack store as a car in the blind spot. The store is on a corner and apparently the angle of the turn was a factor. So far, it has not happened with the 2015.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

After having mine for nearly a week, the dealer is replacing the side assist module (and the cell radio module, but that's a different issue). I should get it back today. We'll see if that solves the problem.

Quick Reply: Side Assist/Blind Spot Monitor False Positives