A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smartphone mirroring, HDMI, front camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Smartphone mirroring, HDMI, front camera

Saw an interesting followup to a thread on another forum this morning.

This looks like a pretty interesting device: Audi 3G/3G+ MMI HDMI LINK Multimedia Interface with HDMI Input (Mirroring) and Parking System Advanced*::**NEW PRODUCTS**::*XCarLink

Features:
  • Watch any video source to your Audi MMI screen, including HDMI input for connecting any AV device and smartphone mirroring.
  • 2 additional Composite AV inputs
  • ACC power output for connecting power to installed devices
  • The best rear camera integration available for your Audi. The interface automatically switches to the camera when in reverse gear and displays dynamic parking guidelines which move with your steering wheel position for accurate and safe parking.
  • Dedicated front camera input which can be set to automatically switch to the front camera when you change from 'Reverse' to 'Drive' for a pre-defined number of seconds.
  • When combined with our DVB-T Tuner, you are able to watch high quality digital TV, controlled via the Audi MMI controller. Provides an OEM style solution without additional remote controls etc.
  • UART input for aftermarket navigation.
  • Switch between Audi display and AV input using MMI controls
  • 5V USB Power for charging a a range of devices through the interface.
  • The interface can be disabled at any time, for example when visiting an Audi Service Center.
  • Comprehensive menu system which is accessed via the MMi controls to change settings, system information, rear camera guideline options, Customizable menu system for screen adjustment, HDMI mode settings, front view camera settings, activation settings etc.
My toy budget is shot this month on a €900 Stowa watch, but it's less than a week until November
Old 10-27-2014, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Pretty cool. Outside of the front view camera which is a recently added factory feature, you'd think Audi would already have all this packaged into the A8 MMI setup. It is a nice add on for everyone however. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
My toy budget is shot this month on a €900 Stowa watch, but it's less than a week until November
This looks suspiciously like a Glashutte Nomos Tangente...

I am a big fan of Glashutte. I don't own one, but their Senator Sixties Square Chronograph is on my list:

Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
you'd think Audi would already have all this packaged into the A8 MMI setup.
I'm hopeful the D5 will have more of it, and the phonebox on the A3 is especially interesting to me.

Originally Posted by needles
This looks suspiciously like a Glashutte Nomos Tangente...
Glashutte was high on my list, but there are subtle differences in the Stowa that I liked better.
As a daily driver I'm OK with a Peseux movement and the primary focus was case height.

An Edox Les Bémonts handwind was my first choice but they are impossible to find.
That and I'm too old and tired to be flying all over the world just to buy a watch.

The Piaget Altiplano is next on my list but there's a Patek Philippe that might slip in ahead of it.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glashutte was high on my list, but there are subtle differences in the Stowa that I liked better.
As a daily driver I'm OK with a Peseux movement and the primary focus was case height.
The ETA 7001 is a reliable movement, for sure. My "daily driver" is my trusty Tag Carrera Calibre 16 Day-Date. Not really exotic, but it's a good looking piece.

One domestic brand I really am enjoying yet do not own is Hamilton. They never really seem to push the homage line into all out copy territory from what I've seen. Their Intra-Matic reissue is a beautiful watch for under a grand:

Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The ETA 7001 is a reliable movement, for sure. My "daily driver" is my trusty Tag Carrera Calibre 16 Day-Date.
Solid for sure, and why I'll save a higher jewel count for my next one.
The Carrera is a nice looking watch.

One domestic brand I really am enjoying yet do not own is Hamilton. They never really seem to push the homage line into all out copy territory from what I've seen. Their Intra-Matic reissue is a beautiful watch for under a grand:
The Intra-Matic caught my eye, it's such a classic look.
I have two vintage art deco styled tank Hamiltons I need to get around to reparing.
One runs very well but the crystal is very loose, and the other one needs a complete overhaul.
My horological skills need improvement before venturing into watch territory though.
Will feel better once the Hermle that I spread plates on last night is fully reconditioned instead of in three (strike/going/chime train) boxes on my bench

Saw a very interesting webinar last night called The Beginning of the Wristwatch.
Part 2 is mid November.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't want to get too off-topic here but... Audi has some "official" watches, including a $25,000 EUR model. Not sure if I like them as well as the Breitlings that they make for Bentley.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't want to get too off-topic here but...
My thread - go as far off topic as you like

Audi has some "official" watches, including a $25,000 EUR model.
Link ?
I've got a couple of Audi watches from the Collection.
They are nice looking but nothing really special, and both <gasp> quartz.

I used to like Breitling a lot more before Ming Tsai started wearing sponsored hubcap sized ones
Old 10-27-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I used to like Breitling a lot more before Ming Tsai started wearing sponsored hubcap sized ones
Whoops! I forgot the link...

The expensive watch is made by Chronoswiss, hence the price.

What is equally amusing is that is has an Audi part number. If you search for the part number on Google, you can allegedly buy this watch from any number of Audi parts dealers... LOL!

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/col...straps/watches

As for Breitling, I do like me some Super Avenger. I have a Breitling Navitimer Montbrillant Datora in tobacco brown on my winder as well:

Has a chronograph and standard totalizers, day-month at 12-position, date on perimeter, 24-hour time at 9-position, and a functioning slide rule on the bezel.

Last edited by needles; 10-27-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, that's a far cry from the US Audi Collection options !
Going to have to spend some time looking them over.
Audi probably has part numbers for toilet paper....

That Breitling is magnificent and the contrast adds to the class look.
Looks like a nice size too - about 42mm ?

45 is about the top of the range my birdlike wrists can handle without looking gimoungous

Quick Reply: Smartphone mirroring, HDMI, front camera