A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So going from a 911 to a S8...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by audisession
Beautiful Porsche !

I know - the 996 is dated but there's something very raw and visceral about my trusty old 996. She's still tight as the day I bought her, still shines and manages to impress me - and really fun to drive on the back roads... But I need garage space for three cars otherwise the s8 sits outdoors for now

So the 15 thousand dollar car sits in the garage while the the 60 thousand dollar car sits outside.... That would be reason enough for me to sell the 996.

Put the 996 outside and give the S8 a nice place to sleep.

The 996 isn't losing any money so keep it for a while to see if you still drive it. If you find that you still get into to for an occasion drive then sort out a place to park it. If you don't drive then put it up for sale.

I'm guessing you'll find a number of times to drive it as we're coming up on beautiful convertible weather.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just traded in my 911 (997.2 C4S) on a '14 S8 over the weekend. It was certainly bittersweet because the Porsche was so much fun to drive. It was a great experience driving it. But the S8 is also a great experience...just a different experience.

It's like dating a super hot skinny girl and then dating a super hot curvy girl. They're both super hot, just in different ways.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tehjeebus
I just traded in my 911 (997.2 C4S) on a '14 S8 over the weekend. It was certainly bittersweet because the Porsche was so much fun to drive. It was a great experience driving it. But the S8 is also a great experience...just a different experience.

It's like dating a super hot skinny girl and then dating a super hot curvy girl. They're both super hot, just in different ways.
;-)

But if you could - would you own both ?
Old 08-23-2016, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by andrewmr
So the 15 thousand dollar car sits in the garage while the the 60 thousand dollar car sits outside.... That would be reason enough for me to sell the 996.

Put the 996 outside and give the S8 a nice place to sleep.

The 996 isn't losing any money so keep it for a while to see if you still drive it. If you find that you still get into to for an occasion drive then sort out a place to park it. If you don't drive then put it up for sale.

I'm guessing you'll find a number of times to drive it as we're coming up on beautiful convertible weather.
The dealer has offered $24k for my 996 - but to me the value of the car doesn't matter - it's been sorted and customized to exactly how I wanted it - and when the weather is nice there's nothing like dropping the top and hearing the wail of a flat six with the most perfectly calibrated steering in the business

The S8 is a great car - perhaps the best get away car - but it's missing a certain soul - I think all modern luxury sedans will likely be missing that.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I could customize the S8 more - maybe a small trunk lid spoiler, exhaust, nicer tail pipes...

My heart says keep it - my head says sell it and move on - and when the kids are grown get a gt3 as a track car...
Old 08-23-2016, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audisession
;-)

But if you could - would you own both ?
Haha, yes I probably would. The handling of the 911 is without peer. But with a wife and 2 kids the practicality was limiting.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't let the lack of garage space unduly influence your decision. I faced that hang up a few years ago, and got over it.

Five years ago I purchased a new 997 and limited garage space almost caused me to sell my 1985 911, which I have owned since new. I'm so glad I kept it! In the summertime the 911 and the 997 occupy the garage, and in the wintertime the 911 moves outside and the A8 comes inside. I have a large driveway and decent shade from tall trees off to the side, so no bird crap. But it did force me to remove my basketball set up, but it was time for that.

There really was an irrational reluctance to park one of my cars outside, but the alternative was worse. Now there is another issue, to wit, my wife's car, and I hear about that from time to time.....

As to what you may want to drive, I think a lot depends upon the types of roads you normally drive. Most of my driving nowadays is not on highways, consequently my 911's accumulate more mileage than my A8. But the A8 is supprisingly good on the back roads, and hands down the champ on the highway.

Bottom line, a 996 parked outside is much better than no 996 at all. Mike
Old 08-23-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2 car garage. Well it has a 2 car garage door but it's really at least three cars wide as there is a nice workshop in one side. There is a carport built off the front so I have a 2 car garage and a 3 car carport. It's very handy. We don't even bother putting the cars in the garage anymore. Carport keeps the sun, snow, rain, etc off the cars. The previous owner was the genius who added the carport so I can't take credit.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What year is your 996? the problem with those cars, if you can call it a problem, is that from 1999-2004, they were water cooled, but purists didn't like it and thus they are very very very affordable, like under $20k for quite a few of them. I personally love the car and have driven a couple. Probably the most affordable Porsche out there. The 1998s cost more than the 2004s at times because of the way they were cooled. And it's clear I don't exactly know what I'm talking about but you probably do...
Old 08-23-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sold my 997.2 C2S Cab when I got the S8. Big mistake. I miss the hell out of the Porsche. Yes the S8 is fast, it is comfortable, it makes the wife happy, etc., but if I could buy back my Porsche I'd do it in a heartbeat. There just isn't any substitute for a 911.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frybear
What year is your 996? the problem with those cars, if you can call it a problem, is that from 1999-2004, they were water cooled, but purists didn't like it and thus they are very very very affordable, like under $20k for quite a few of them. I personally love the car and have driven a couple. Probably the most affordable Porsche out there. The 1998s cost more than the 2004s at times because of the way they were cooled. And it's clear I don't exactly know what I'm talking about but you probably do...

Yeah, purists don't like the water cool thing, but I would argue Porsche has never been a financially stronger company and their products are really really nice.

Anyway yes, there are affordable 911's under $20K, but they will require another $20K to get them to an acceptable level to be really enjoyable...

As they say, there is no such thing as a cheap 911....The maintenance costs alone make it an expensive car to own

Quick Reply: So going from a 911 to a S8...