A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many Complaints About Fidelity

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default So many Complaints About Fidelity

My A8 warranty will be over in Sept. So I have been looking around. I often read how every one uses Fidelity. I don't know if its the same company but I read so many complaints on fidelity

Then there is trying to figure out what is NOT Covered which they cleverly don't put in the contract. They only list what is covered and that means you have to be an automotive engineer to assess the problems that may not be covered

FIDELITY COMPLAINTS

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto.../fidelity.html

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 08-09-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Last time I looked at Fidelity for my 2006 A8 W12, I concluded only the top level of coverage made sense. But car didn't qualify due to miles, and that was before any consideration of price. What I did was basically use the "what is covered" list against each item in my car that had been repaired over 6 years of 4/50 and CPO (out to about 80K when it clocked out). I added to it other known D3 trouble spots like MMI screen motor gears. Basically, the repairs generally were either not on the "covered" list, or especially fell into the wear and tear exclusion. Suspension parts will fall there, even though CPO would cover. Stereo/nav will often be excluded except on highest priced coverage. I tested each one I wasn't sure of w/ the service advisor and he confirmed both whether it was treated as "in" or "out" and how wear and tear exclusion played out. They sold the policy and seemed to have a lot of accumulated experience running claims.

What you most likely want is an "exclusionary" policy--meaning only a list of the then excluded items. For Fidelity or others, what they likely call their Platinum policy. Even testing their "Gold" level had a lot of holes, again against my known claims list. That also avoids reading end endless insurance co. feel good lists of parts that hardly ever break anyway. But it will have conditions on starting miles, how old and such, and be prepared to fail over on price. If you are just rolling off 4/50, you likely qualify. On W12, I went bare for 3 or 4 more years and 40K miles and came out well ahead, but only because I am up for even deep DIY.

If you do go bare (or even if not), go over car with a fine tooth comb. Just like buying a used one, except here as owner you can give it the full proctology exam. I test every system, every switch, from every seat. Under hood thorough look of course. I take off belly and other pans and go over everything underside too from front to back. Full VCDS scan too (without clearing codes so they can see them). On W12 I caught a very pricy motor support (torque) mount labor wise, both valve cover gaskets, and about half a dozen other things in suspension and otherwise. SA said my bill would have been more than $8K IIRC. I paid my then $60 for CPO visit and smiled. By careful look at gaskets and some wear parts they still cover, I figure I also minimized repairs likely to come up in next few years that would get more obvious with noises, smells, etc. Take it to an indy who knows Audis well if you don't DIY for the underneath and scan stuff. $100 or even $200 for the ultra proctology version will be well worth it, either for peace of mind or a list of things to bring in for last warranty hoorah.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-09-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
What you most likely want is an "exclusionary" policy--meaning only a list of the then excluded items. For Fidelity or others, what they likely call their Platinum policy. Even testing their "Gold" level had a lot of holes, again against my known claims list. That also avoids reading end endless insurance co. feel good lists of parts that hardly ever break anyway. But it will have conditions on starting miles, how old and such, and be prepared to fail over on price. On W12, I went bare for 3 or 4 more years and 40K miles and came out well ahead, but only because I am up for even deep DIY.

Well yes, but good luck in finding an exclusionary Policy. That is a dinosaur. I haven't seen an exclusionary since Minnehoma in the 90's. I don't even think they exist any more.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GR8-LIFE
Well yes, but good luck in finding an exclusionary Policy. That is a dinosaur. I haven't seen an exclusionary since Minnehoma in the 90's. I don't even think they exist any more.

Geez, well that took at least 30 seconds to Google and find that "dinosaur." Guess you haven't been in the market for... a while. Not a buyer of these typically and no connection to car or insurance biz of any kind.

See: Fidelity Warranty Services :: Products :: Vehicle Protection

Like first sentence under first major heading for Platinum coverage, exactly as I described. Many dealer service dept's pedal this stuff, hence the first person knowledge as a possible customer who looked into it when my own D3 clocked out, like OP's D4 is about to. I don't just make this stuff up or come up with obsolete views or info.
Attached Thumbnails So many Complaints About Fidelity-screen-shot-2016-08-09-7.58.35-am.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-09-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Geez, well that took at least 30 seconds to Google and find that "dinosaur." Guess you haven't been in the market for... a while. Not a buyer of these typically and no connection to car or insurance biz of any kind.

See: Fidelity Warranty Services :: Products :: Vehicle Protection

Like first sentence under first major heading for Platinum coverage, exactly as I described. Many dealer service dept's pedal this stuff, hence the first person knowledge as a possible customer who looked into it when my own D3 clocked out, like OP's D4 is about to. I don't just make this stuff up or come up with obsolete views or info.
so this is a fidelity Exclusionary Contract you are posting?

BTW Not trying to argue semantics but IMO this is somewhat of a hybrid. Minnehoma exclusionary contracts that I have had on 2 vehicles never listed what was covered - it only listed what WASNT covered. So you would look at the contract and it would see "Whats Not Covered" on the dec page. It was very simple. Anything that wasnt on that page implictly was covered. It was normally a very short page, perhaps 5-7 lines and mostly wear and tear but also some of the fully-loadee options were not covered but it listed those

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 08-09-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GR8-LIFE
so this is a fidelity Exclusionary Contract you are posting?

BTW Not trying to argue semantics but IMO this is somewhat of a hybrid. Minnehoma exclusionary contracts that I have had on 2 vehicles never listed what was covered - it only listed what WASNT covered. So you would look at the contract and it would see "Whats Not Covered" on the dec page. It was very simple. Anything that wasnt on that page implictly was covered. It was normally a very short page, perhaps 5-7 lines and mostly wear and tear but also some of the fully-loadee options were not covered but it listed those
I don't follow. Asked and answered on the web site excerpt in the image below, which is off their summary language. If you can't see images on your device, maybe that's the issue? Exclusion lists have grown w/ more complex vehicles, but to me it is mostly a wear and tear list, and the usual about aftermarket stereos and such. Importantly it doesn't cover "shocks," which may exclude the D4 air units, a pricy item that does come up at higher miles. Solar roof is another corner case for D4's, since it takes out heater fan at high miles. Failures are now almost systemic on D3 board--first question I ask if HVAC fan not working and answer is almost al are solar roofed. CV boots is a another gotcha but as of D3 I had Audi seems to have finally gotten a better supplier and plastic rubber formula. OP can look up contract language directly if interested, plus a discussion with SA to explore nuances like air shocks (and compressor) can help too since they seem to work with their policies a lot. But again, it is an exclusionary list if you read my post and avoid devices that don't display all AW content well.

Also should be considered against emissions warranty (since they excluded cats and such there). If OP is in a CARB state--as in, way more than just CA now-- he gets a fairly long list and length warranty there too, which is seldom discussed. That is in the Audi warranty book, at least as delivered in the CARB states for the better one. Just talked a guy through getting his fuel pump covered on a Q5 (in NY) even though he fought kicking and screaming there might actually be more warranty coverage, and Audi call center might not be state of "Art" on definitive info. Audi and most any manufacturer/dealer/service dep't don't seem to like to discuss that whole subject much.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-09-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I had Fidelity coverage on my 911 after factory warranty expired.
They covered $30K in claims. Pretty good ROI.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Gold coverage but haven't had to try and use it. I do have s squeak when cold I think in front stabilized link bushings. Not sure if that's covered?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

With respect to all the exclusions listed in the Platinum Package, WHAT DOES IT INCLUDE? Seems like the whole car is excluded.
What are some likely failures that might occur in the 70K miles that would be covered?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. I have the gold plus with 76k mi. Hope I didn't waste $40 for the transfer?

Quick Reply: So many Complaints About Fidelity