A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solar Sunroof Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by navin in KC
gedis080:

I have a D3 with a solar sunroof. The affect of the solar sunroof is so marginal that I can't imagine it is worth the money to retro-fit it. I can only imagine it could cost a thousand or more dollars and when it is done if the sunroof leaks or something else goes wrong, you'll want to shoot yourself.
Parts will cost almost nothing to me. And I won't shoot myself because will be no leaks, not a first or second sunroof I'm going to work on. :-)
Just I want to be sure that I need only those parts which I have mentioned in my previous post before I start the job, and it is 'plug'n'play'.

But one more question: what will be with sun screen/sunblind ? it has to go of or it will stay with solar sunroof ?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow! how do you get parts for almost nothing?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not so crazy to buy solar roof brand new when it is plenty available at scrapyards and they are not popular parts, so that's why they cost "almost nothing", especially when you take them from the car by yourself....
But we were talking about other thing, more important :-) weren't we ?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kwilkins
I’m interested to hear comments from those that have the Solar Sunroof option. Does it keep the car cool on hot days while it’s parked? If so, is it really noticeable or is the car just a bit less hot? Basically I’m wondering if this is mainly a novelty feature or if it’s very practical and functional.
I had the Solar Option on my D3, and have it on my D4. The D4's solar powered circulation is superior. Both the Audi and my wife's Volvo wagon are parked outside at the marina all summer. The Audi's interior is markedly cooler than the Volvo's.

The Solar Option is well worth the cost in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

gedis80:

You were showing new part numbers, so I thought you owned a dealership or had a connection somewhere to get new parts for "almost nothing".

I always thought that finding parts in salvage yards would take so long and require so much traveling that it wouldn't be worth it for a part that might not work and will require time to obtain, etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've enjoyed my solar sunroof here in Austin, although I don't know if I would order it again. (Ask me again in August when it's 115 F here.) I sometimes miss the transparency of the roof, but the more I think about my experience in previous cars, the times I'd open the panel and NOT open the entire roof were few and far between.

I usually park in a garage or covered space, so I haven't felt (or heard) the benefits. But when I've been parking outside for the past few days, I definitely hear it running when I get into the car.

I wish it actually cooled, but of course that would make the solar panels cover the entire vehicle!

Adam
Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CanAm Eight
I had the Solar Option on my D3
was it equipped with sun screen/sunblind ??

gedis80:
You were showing new part numbers, so I thought you owned a dealership or had a connection somewhere to get new parts for "almost nothing".
I always thought that finding parts in salvage yards would take so long and require so much traveling that it wouldn't be worth it for a part that might not work and will require time to obtain, etc.
New parts numbers were for reference, easier to understand what I'm talking about as we say 'one picture tells more then thousand words' D
And in my case distances are not big to go for used parts, 300km I cross all country and there is no doubts that it won't work because most of the tim it is still in the car and can be checked/operated.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a d3 with the solar roof, and find it to be a nice addition....I think it keeps the car fresh, and has worked flawlessly winter and summer.....Winter time it does not blow air below a certain degree...Tony
Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

gedis080:

I have a D3 with a solar sunroof. The affect of the solar sunroof is so marginal that I can't imagine it is worth the money to retro-fit it. I can only imagine it could cost a thousand or more dollars and when it is done if the sunroof leaks or something else goes wrong, you'll want to shoot yourself.

Here are some comments:

1) for the first year I had my car I was convinced it didnt work until once I heard it running when I got in the car and since then I hear it all of the time, I just didnt know what to listen for.

2) I also don't care about having a glass sunroof because I don't like light coming in from above like that, even in winter.

3) I am in the process of ordering a D4 and I did order the solar sunroof option, just an fyi.
If you think the benefit or effect was marginal, what made you order the solar sunroof option in the D4? How are the D4's solar sunroof?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default A few practical thoughts

With old post and new replies, I'm not 100% sure of what the questions are.

From my C5 experience where I had one that broke, I thought about going the other way actually--toward a glass panel. Regardless of preference, be sure to look carefully at exactly what the parts are. As I recall, where it got tricky was the sunshade movable panel first of all. That panel travels on its own little track, while the solar one is attached directly to the roof panel. I think you may need to change the whole roof cassette (and buy it as such from a junk yard). That means the whole track assembly and everything. If you buy at a distance, you will find shipping for it is somewhat pricy too-- big bulky part once it is the whole cassette.

Then after you get past the whole shade issue, you are going from a roof panel with no solar panel to one that of course now produces power. On the C5 the electronics for the voltage converter were on the bottom of the panel. The panel connected electrically to the car body and harness by a couple of contacts on the edge of the panel and sunroof opening. BUT, if you think about it, you still need the wiring from the panel to the blower motor. I think again those contacts built into the panel AND opening will mean you need the whole cassette and not just panel itself. Since D4's (and 3's) have custom harnesses based on how the car is equipped, I don't think you will find the wiring in place either, so you have to retrofit from the roof to the blower, AND do what ever tie ins are necessary (probably some kind of relay/control box), since of course roof runs fan intentionally while car power is off, while heater/HVAC fan runs normally only when it is on.

Last, if I haven't talked you out of it yet, check the D3 board. There are now a rash of blower motor failures. The common theme in all of them is solar roof. See this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...motor-2840964/ My same experience on my C5 A6 by the way with it--I had to replace the blower fan along the way. Seems to happen with fan operating many more hours per day than just driving, plus it is operating with air hot instead of cooler like cold days or with A/C. Honestly, I don't think Audi thought this part of the design through, and the failure rate is proving it out. Thus, if you either have or retrofit a solar roof, expect to pay twice: once for the option, and then again by ten years when the fan fails. From a fellow AW'er who just had his done, it cost him $1200 to have an indy shop do it, about ⅔ of the cost being the blower. There are brushes available for it (if that's the failure), but that is deeper DIY stuff than many ever do.

Net, I had it once, but found I liked the roof light with shade open. Now that I see it often seems to cause the heater fan to fail in the long term, I am affirmatively avoiding it when possible in used D4 searches.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-22-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Solar Sunroof Experience