A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping out a8 mirrors for the s8. has anyone attempted?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default swapping out a8 mirrors for the s8. has anyone attempted?

I got a screaming deal on these mirrors complete with cameras. Just curious has anyone else attempted this swap? I am assuming its plus and play. there are both
motorized
auto dimming
with cameras/sensors

i am not changing anything else on the a8 cosmetically just the mirrors really. Next will be an apr tune as 100 and 93 are avail readily around me.

any write up on how to swap, or is there any programming that the dealer would need to do?

thanks for any help
Old 09-25-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no input but I love the idea. my guess is you'll have to remove the interior "door card" to gain access to the connections and probably cameras won't work without some type of coding. Just a guess though. I've even thought about just getting aluminum/plastic mirror caps...
Old 09-25-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Not sure where exactly you are going since you mention the electrics/electronics of mirror but then aren't changing anything on set up. Thus, look at miror shell only. As long as you have the same set up for the blinker and other gadget area, you could just cross swap shell. As in, the silver cover stuff is just that--and no longer real metal like it once was either. Just swapping was way folks used to do it pre all the electronic add ons in D3 era. Also what I did in Q5 for repair when wife practiced parking by braille with the mirror case on the garage door jamb. I haven't ever looked closely at base area/color of the S in case there is a difference there; usually black plastic on a "regular"/A model.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-25-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

although the "real" caps are $650 on ebay, maybe the poster got his actual mirror housings etc. for a better deal. Then just remove the mirror caps from the new housings and replace your old ones. easy peasy, unless of course you want to use the new camera function and your old mirror don't have that feature, which mine do not
Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Personally not for me. It just feels like its' the equivalent of doing this - I know it's a harsh example given that the non-S A8 isn't exactly a Honda Accord....but I just don't understand the cosmetic masquerade.

Last edited by audisession; 09-26-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

That is a pretty extreme example. Personally if you like the looks then swap them. I would not put an S8 badge on it but mirror caps are no big deal.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
That is a pretty extreme example. Personally if you like the looks then swap them. I would not put an S8 badge on it but mirror caps are no big deal.
Yes, I agree a little harsh...but all in good fun

I especially thought it was weird for that Audi R8 to put BMW badging on! WTH?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm guessing that particular gentleman has a sense of humor.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Usually you see people dressing up normal cars as the higher versions of them. Hate it when I see them. I don't mind taking the styling cues, but leave the badges off it. That's when it goes from changing your ride to suit your tastes to trying to impress people with lies. I'll grant exceptions for things like steering wheels and brakes, if only because it indicates what they're for and it's a pain in the neck to take logos off those.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Usually you see people dressing up normal cars as the higher versions of them. Hate it when I see them. I don't mind taking the styling cues, but leave the badges off it. That's when it goes from changing your ride to suit your tastes to trying to impress people with lies. I'll grant exceptions for things like steering wheels and brakes, if only because it indicates what they're for and it's a pain in the neck to take logos off those.
Better: go the other way and lure them in, at least when you are younger. Sort of hard w/ the D4 S8 four pipes though, albeit I still get the 22 year old S4 drivers (going on 8) who actually think they could begin to keep up with it. Not even worth the gas money (or safe driving) to bother plunking the fish in the barrels.

Had logos completely off my C5 A6 4.2 with the factory flares for years when 300HP was then a lot. A lot of the higher power Euro rides go badgeless to blend in, as opposed to show and no go pretenders. One day a then well known board member (with vanity plates from his avatar--Audio) pulled up to my brother in law driving it in stop and go Silicon Valley freeway traffic and smiled, saying "you're not fooling anyone [that way either]!"--given flares always equaled 4.2 back then. On D3 I actually put the legit Euro 6.0 badge on back, which seemed to confuse them less than the W12 ones. Early on one SF valet guy wanted to see the "W"12 motor. He thought he would actually find two "V" 12's underneath! No lie. ...Lots of folks out there with zero clue about the bigger Audis.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-26-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: swapping out a8 mirrors for the s8. has anyone attempted?