A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from T-mobile to AT&T for Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is some new information I obtained from Audi CustomerCare: T-Mobile is currently changing some of their cell phone towers and customers incertain cities are getting downgraded to 2G coverage. As a result, Audi sent outletters to customers whose vehicle was affected by these downgrades instructingthem to go to their Audi dealership and get a free hardware update inorder to continue with 4G (I think he meant 3G) coverage. At that time,they switch over to AT&T’s service. The cities that are affected are:Sacramento, CA; Eagle Pass (Austin, TX); San Antonio, TX; San Francisco, CA; Memphis,TN; Columbia, S.C.; Myrtle Beach, S.C.; Charlotte, N.C.; Phoenix, AZ;Sacramento, CA; Boise, ID; St. Louis, MO; Roanoke, VA; Kansas City, MO; Miami,FL; Laredo, TX; Biloxi, MS; Pueblo, CO; Charleston, SC; Savanah, GA; Columbus,GA; Griffin, CA; Baton Rouge, LA; El Paso, TX; Albuquerque, NM; Oklahoma City,OK; Los Angeles, CA; Houston, TX; Chicago, IL; Louisville, KY; andIndianapolis, IN.
The hardware update involveshaving the dealer switch out some existing parts for new parts therebyswitching the car over to AT&T and regaining 4G coverage (again, I think hemeant 3G). It sounds like he was talking about components relating theMMI unit. While the cars “living” in these cities get the upgrades forfree, someone like me, who’s car isn’t currently in one of those cities, has topay for the parts and the cost to switch them out.
I think I figured out what is happening in my case. Audi provided AT&T with an IMEI/VIN list for the "T-Mobile" cars that are "allowed" to switch to AT&T. AT&T's activation system then scrubs these new SIM card activations against this list. Audi customer care checked and my IMEI/VIN isn't on this list. I couldn't determine whether the IMEI/VIN list is based on the port of entry, where the car is titled, or where the car is serviced. So here is the point of confusion. If the activation falls into the category of switching a SIM from one device to another, the IMEI/VIN scrubbing doesn't take place and the existing SIM card (whether used before or new) works in the existing radio. However, if the activation falls into the category of the "hardware switch-out" the IMEI/VIN scrubbing does take place (which prevented my activation). Apparently, some AT&T employees know how to manipulate AT&T's activation software such that the menu options and selection don't include the IMEI/VIN scrubbing. In my case the activation button at the end is greyed out.
It would be nice if someone with an Audi and who also works at AT&T could post the way my sort of activation needs to be entered so that it works, versus the hit or miss approach I'm currently using.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Jim,
The key to all this is the IMEI. The main purpose of the IMEI is to identify the device. In particular what category of device it is, so that the AT&T system can provision the correct services.

Because the US wireless market is so rigged with exclusive deals, you can't just walk into an AT&T store and get any device activated. When they enter the IMEI of a "T-Mobile" MMI, their system won't accept it, because the device doesn't fall under one of their existing agreements.

To bypass this, they use an IMEI from a comparable device that is officially supported. Since all the MMI needs is data service, you can use any IMEI from a data capable device. However, in order to get the $10/month deal it has to be an IMEI from a device that falls into that category. You don't wanna use the IMEI from a smartphone, because that would set up the more expensive billing as AT&T's system thinks you are adding another smartphone and provisions services like voice, visual voicemail etc. that you don't need for the MMI. The IMEI from a MiFi hotspot is also a bad choice, because MiFi's are billed at a higher rate as well. For some people the MMI's IMEI shows up as a MiFi in AT&T's system.

So, the easiest is to give them an IMEI from a tablet as that is the primary device category that qualifies for the $10/month billing. You really don't need to bother telling them what specific device you are activating if you have a tablet sitting around at home that has an inactive SIM. Just give them the IMEI of your tablet.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-04-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

And to add, wouldn't the tablet have to be cellular capable with a SIM card slot in order to have an IMEI? I would think a wifi only tablet probably won't have an IMEI.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
And to add, wouldn't the tablet have to be cellular capable with a SIM card slot in order to have an IMEI? I would think a wifi only tablet probably won't have an IMEI.
Correct. I thought that was a given, but better to mention.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Correct. I thought that was a given, but better to mention.
I've found that nothing on the forums can be assumed to be a given.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks to you all, I now have AT&T 3g running in my 2015 Audi Q5 premium plus! I had to fully explain using the second IMEI, and the manager then located an IMEI to use. In total it took two trips to the AT&T store, 15 minutes with Audi Customer Care, and about two hours (including wait time) in 6 different calls with AT&T.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

This frankly all starting to sound like a public relations disaster for Audi and AT&T! And even for T-Mobile. But, the responsibility lies with Audi to provide their customers with proper access to any and all wifi capabilities in cars they manufacture. There has been a lot in the news lately about car companies questioning the "rights" of car owners to make any sort of modifications to automobiles and that because of the advancements in technologies, those rights are proprietary to the manufacturers. If that is even remotely true (I highly question it is), then it is incumbent on those manufacturers to provide owners with any and all updates, revisions, etc. as it pertains to their vehicles already in service. Audi highly touted being the first cars with built-in wifi capabilities and they chose the preferred provider in T-Mobile. If Audi or T-Mobile changes the game, then they alone should bear the sole and total responsibility to inform existing customers of the changes and the commensurate costs associated with such changes. Am I missing something here?
Old 09-05-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
This frankly all starting to sound like a public relations disaster for Audi and AT&T! And even for T-Mobile. But, the responsibility lies with Audi to provide their customers with proper access to any and all wifi capabilities in cars they manufacture. There has been a lot in the news lately about car companies questioning the "rights" of car owners to make any sort of modifications to automobiles and that because of the advancements in technologies, those rights are proprietary to the manufacturers. If that is even remotely true (I highly question it is), then it is incumbent on those manufacturers to provide owners with any and all updates, revisions, etc. as it pertains to their vehicles already in service. Audi highly touted being the first cars with built-in wifi capabilities and they chose the preferred provider in T-Mobile. If Audi or T-Mobile changes the game, then they alone should bear the sole and total responsibility to inform existing customers of the changes and the commensurate costs associated with such changes. Am I missing something here?
I agree that Audi is the problem here. I had no problem at all with the AT&T outlet I went to, but trying to get info from Audi was difficult to impossible, their representatives were not knowledgeable or professional, and they have made absolutely no effort to make their customers happy.

This was my fist Audi and will likely be my last, if for no other reason that they have such poor customer relations.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great information here. My T-Mobile expired on MY13 CPO S5 recently and I want to get the car onto my shared AT&T data plan. Since I don't have a tablet/ipad laying around the house what kind of issues would I have getting the IMEI number off a store tablet and using that number when I go into AT&T? Once that tablet is sold and the owner tries to add a SIM - would that be where the problem comes in? thanks all. BTW - the MMI version I have is HN_US_AU3G_P0487 .. so i'm hoping that's 3G??
Old 09-06-2015, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gregcra
Great information here. My T-Mobile expired on MY13 CPO S5 recently and I want to get the car onto my shared AT&T data plan. Since I don't have a tablet/ipad laying around the house what kind of issues would I have getting the IMEI number off a store tablet and using that number when I go into AT&T? Once that tablet is sold and the owner tries to add a SIM - would that be where the problem comes in? thanks all. BTW - the MMI version I have is HN_US_AU3G_P0487 .. so i'm hoping that's 3G??
Your MMI is too old to get 3G service through AT&T, unless you have Audi upgrade your modem and firmware first.

Quick Reply: Switching from T-mobile to AT&T for Audi Connect?