A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks D4ers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks D4ers

Over the last few months I've been all over this board researching what I anticipated was an imminent D4 purchase.

Always lurking in the back of my mind, however, was another Audi model: older yes, but rare, beautiful and practical. When one popped up on craigslist two states away yesterday, I drove over, checked it out, and pulled the trigger.

Hopefully, a D4 will be the next purchase. Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom about these wonderful automobiles!

my new car: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24869006

Last edited by heymatey; 10-14-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm glad you found what you wanted, I understand the difficulty of finding that just right car. I like the avants, never understood why people didn't buy them more. Same driving dynamic as the sedan, big boost in practicality.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi does such a good job with the Avants, I'm confused also. Guess it's the high seating position of an SUV, but I prefer the better handling, MPG and looks of a wagon.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by heymatey
Audi does such a good job with the Avants, I'm confused also. Guess it's the high seating position of an SUV, but I prefer the better handling, MPG and looks of a wagon.
SUV:

I'm invincible. I can drive anywhere (even the mall...) I can stuff my face even more, especially w/ 22 cupholders. I can see over everything to tailgate even closer. I'm hip and sporty. Did I tell you I was cool and rugged? Ain't gonna be caught dead in no flippin' minivan (even if I may be literally dead from way higher roll and curb trip risk). I can text my brains out even better with fewer people and motocops able to even see in. I can go w/ the factory tint and fake child seat w/ baby on board sign and cruise car pool lane all day long; x 2 on moto officer fake out. I make an even bigger road boulder folks won't mess with.

Need I say more? ;/

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-15-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what's the real difference between an Avant and an Allroad?
Old 10-16-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
SUV:

I'm invincible. I can drive anywhere (even the mall...) I can stuff my face even more, especially w/ 22 cupholders. I can see over everything to tailgate even closer. I'm hip and sporty. Did I tell you I was cool and rugged? Ain't gonna be caught dead in no flippin' minivan (even if I may be literally dead from way higher roll and curb trip risk). I can text my brains out even better with fewer people and motocops able to even see in. I can go w/ the factory tint and fake child seat w/ baby on board sign and cruise car pool lane all day long; x 2 on moto officer fake out. I make an even bigger road boulder folks won't mess with.

Need I say more? ;/
I have so much more negative things to say about pickup drivers... and SRT/hellcat drivers for that matter, but that's a whole other story.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
I have so much more negative things to say about pickup drivers... and SRT/hellcat drivers for that matter, but that's a whole other story.
As an SRT driver, I resent that . I thought about buying a Hellcat, but decided to supercharge the Dodge I already had. After talking to a couple Hellcat owner's, I'm glad I didn't. Most I spoke to seem to think because their car is special, they are special, don't want to talk if it's not you fawning over their car. Still, quite a fun bit of machinery. Doesn't really compete with anything, it's in it's own little niche.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
As an SRT driver, I resent that . I thought about buying a Hellcat, but decided to supercharge the Dodge I already had. After talking to a couple Hellcat owner's, I'm glad I didn't. Most I spoke to seem to think because their car is special, they are special, don't want to talk if it's not you fawning over their car. Still, quite a fun bit of machinery. Doesn't really compete with anything, it's in it's own little niche.
Yeah, I shouldn't take it as far as SRT owners, but definitely Hellcat drivers... they just suck. Me and my brother both have stories, so there seems to be a correlation. I really like that car too, but there's something about people becoming A-holes when they drive one.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe, like Mercedes, they come factory with a sense of entitlement. More like I think it's the owners who bought them to make a statement as opposed to those who bought them to enjoy them for their own merits. It's not unique to Hellcats, you see it whenever a manufacturer comes out with what the flavor of the month is. Once the fad passes, those people sell them, often at a steep discount, and find something else to be smug about.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frybear
what's the real difference between an Avant and an Allroad?
AllRoads are lifted and have cladding around their wheels to make them look more truck-like. Added weight/higher center of gravity make handling/performance worse, and looks (in my opinion) less attractive.

The attached picture illustrates the difference, but the Avant shown is the older B8 vs the brand new B9 AllRoad.
Attached Thumbnails Thanks D4ers-allroad-vs-avant.jpg  

Last edited by heymatey; 10-16-2016 at 07:41 PM.