A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking used 2014 s8. Anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know there is a thread on this topic already but how many owners here have or had the vibration issue at 3000 rpm? I test drove a 2015 s8 today, beautiful car but it had that vibration. It seems it's been an issue for years. Does it affect all recent year a8/s8? Do most people just live with it? Is it really fixed with down pipe replacement? That's potentially major surgery if engine needs to be moved. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
I know there is a thread on this topic already but how many owners here have or had the vibration issue at 3000 rpm? I test drove a 2015 s8 today, beautiful car but it had that vibration. It seems it's been an issue for years. Does it affect all recent year a8/s8? Do most people just live with it? Is it really fixed with down pipe replacement? That's potentially major surgery if engine needs to be moved. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
No sign of it on my 2015 S8. Fairly early build date actually, but outside the build range shown in TSB which suggests it has the newer parts already.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
No sign of it on my 2015 S8. Fairly early build date actually, but outside the build range shown in TSB which suggests it has the newer parts already.
Not sure of the build date but doesn't appear to be too early as it was sold in March 2015. Thought I noticed something during test drive. Back at dealership while in parking lot and car in park, revved up to 3000 rpm and held it there, vibration kicked in and stayed as long as I held 3000 rpm, quickly stopping above and below within a few hundred rpm. Too bad, nice car. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I suspect most cars did not have the vibration. But obviously there where enough of them to warrant the TSB. I'm assuming the car you're looking at is still under factory warranty so you can have it fixed for free. It's not a major job as the turbos on the 4.0t are located in the center of the v which is where the intake is on a typical v8. It would actually be a pretty easy diy job if the car were not under warranty.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
I suspect most cars did not have the vibration. But obviously there where enough of them to warrant the TSB. I'm assuming the car you're looking at is still under factory warranty so you can have it fixed for free. It's not a major job as the turbos on the 4.0t are located in the center of the v which is where the intake is on a typical v8. It would actually be a pretty easy diy job if the car were not under warranty.
I find it strange that the s8 I test drove had the problem since it was a late-ish 2015. I thought the fix was the down pipes in the exhaust which I assumed were down by the headers, a potentially trickier fix. Hope you're right. The s8 is quite the car. What do you know about the Audi Connect? I read another thread complaining about 3G not working on ATT network. Do you have the SIM card in your car? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The fixes are variously in the down pipes but also in the motor mount programming--the motor mount programming was the first fix.

The headers are relatively easy to access on the car because the 4.0T is intentionally designed the reverse of a "normal" V8. The exhaust leaves from the center of the "V" at the back of the center trim cover where you find the turbos. rather than off the harder to reach lower outside of the motor where in typical Audi non turbo V8's (like the 4.2) things are much tighter, jammed in with motor mounts and auxiliary gear drives. Thus, on 4.0T the downpipes turn out to be easy to access at the two ends. It could be that approach is contributing to the issue, since the exhaust then becomes sort of a diagonal downward brace, while there is really nothing comparable on a 4.2--all the stiff bolt up points and mounts are usually pretty low down.

Audi Connect does not support ATT, but different than saying it doesn't work. When they went to the new modem (and swapped out old ones), folks started reporting they could now use ATT. TMobile always works, so the reasons folks go ATT are typically either that TMobile service doesn't work in their area or that they have a family or similar plan where they want it on ATT. In the latter scenario, max. difference should be about $5/mo., plus you have to squeeze it in any applicable data limits for a family or similar plan. I have ATT plan in general, but just did TMobile on both Audi's we have w/ Audi Connect. We were also near max. # of devices on the plan and preferred not managing inside the ATT data limits w/ it added on.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-26-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The TSB lists 2013-2015 so at least some 2015 vehicles where affected. But like I said it's a pretty simple fix. As long as it's still under warranty I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. If it's for sale at an Audi dealership ask them to fix it before you buy.

Audi Connect is something I can't help you with. My 2013 is T-mobile only. The later years had different hardware.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The fixes are variously in the down pipes but also in the motor mount programming--the motor mount programming was the first fix.

The headers are relatively easy to access on the car because the 4.0T is intentionally designed the reverse of a "normal" V8. The exhaust leaves from the center of the "V" at the back of the center trim cover where you find the turbos. rather than off the harder to reach lower outside of the motor where in typical Audi non turbo V8's (like the 4.2) things are much tighter, jammed in with motor mounts and auxiliary gear drives. Thus, on 4.0T the downpipes turn out to be easy to access at the two ends. It could be that approach is contributing to the issue, since the exhaust then becomes sort of a diagonal downward brace, while there is really nothing comparable on a 4.2--all the stiff bolt up points and mounts are usually pretty low down.

Audi Connect does not support ATT, but different than saying it doesn't work. When they went to the new modem (and swapped out old ones), folks started reporting they could now use ATT. TMobile always works, so the reasons folks go ATT are typically either that TMobile service doesn't work in their area or that they have a family or similar plan where they want it on ATT. In the latter scenario, max. difference should be about $5/mo., plus you have to squeeze it in any applicable data limits for a family or similar plan. I have ATT plan in general, but just did TMobile on both Audi's we have w/ Audi Connect. We were also near max. # of devices on the plan and preferred not managing inside the ATT data limits w/ it added on.
I see from your history that you are a very informed long time Audi fan, as are many others here. I haven't had a car as large as the s8 in a very long time, I harken back to the used 1970 Lincoln Town Car I drove in the late 1970's. I got to test drive the s8 yesterday for the first time but for only 10-15 minutes. I'm assuming you came from driving an a6, similar to my e550 in size. How do you find the extra size affects you in day to day driving? Do you often wish that your daily drive was one class smaller? I know this is completely qualitative and clearly can depend on where you drive and the kind of driving you do, but just asking anyway. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
I see from your history that you are a very informed long time Audi fan, as are many others here. I haven't had a car as large as the s8 in a very long time, I harken back to the used 1970 Lincoln Town Car I drove in the late 1970's. I got to test drive the s8 yesterday for the first time but for only 10-15 minutes. I'm assuming you came from driving an a6, similar to my e550 in size. How do you find the extra size affects you in day to day driving? Do you often wish that your daily drive was one class smaller? I know this is completely qualitative and clearly can depend on where you drive and the kind of driving you do, but just asking anyway. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
I had the 2000 A6 4.2 and the 2006 W12 overlapping for several years--and three prior Audi C class midsizes. D3 was the much smoother car--the W12 on one hand, but also the air ride. Even with all its weight and size, D3 drove better. Large vehicle, but also nothing like land yachts of yore. My high school ride was the old Chrysler Town and Country wagon hand me down with the 383 4bbl and front discs. 10 MPG on a good day. 20 feet stem to stern--you would literally take a construction tape measure to it to figure out. In a straight line it could still take a smogged out Vette or TransAm of the early 70's (junk) era with the bird on the hood, but first corner and hold on for your life. Now that was the true land yacht!

Current ride is a SWB w/ S8. Net for size, basically I only notice physical size (negatively) on parking in tight situations. SWB somewhat less so. Urban shorter parallel parking spaces and sub par parking garages are the hardest ones, and LWB was definitely a bigger challenge even to find a big enough space in places like heavily parked up SF. Once in a while you notice width trying to squeeze past something like a right turn, but again skills were honed in 60's and early 70s mid and full size American iron. On the other hand having a Q5 as well which is very similar in size to the mid size Audis like C5, 6 or 7, I like the much better shoulder and general front room of a D body. Plus really top notch fit and finish. LWB rear has no comparison to anything in Audi C bodies or Merc. E class. It is a true limo back there. SWB is still a bit more generous than those leg room wise, and a good amount more for shoulder room.

Dynamically, again D class is always going to be smooth with air ride. You may have had that on E class V8's too. It also essentially allows another notch or two lower profile tires for driving dynamics without screwing up ride. I saw other side of that on C5 A6 4.2 with even 40s, where they had to tune ride like an old Buick as far as soft springs to deal with aggressive tire profile for that era, which then messed up dynamics. On D3 W12 I had factory 20s at 35 profile and even so stiffened roll bars a notch. With D4 S8, definitely no need for that sort of thing. Another layer more subtle, but Audi also takes pains on D's to miminize body flex. Hence why you can't fold down rear seats--they need that bulkhead structurally. Fold down seats on C5 were nice for flexibility, but I could hear result in the body at 100K when I would go over a driveway or dip and door seals and such would make a little noise. A variety of special tie bars and such up front too; C body only had typical more basic stuff and the normal roll bars.

As now empty nester, I might consider an Audi C body again. If I had to have new, definitely would on a given budget given the price delta for new. Used is a different story though given D4 value falls in first few years especially. Motor wise, it is detuned a level so even S6 is only current 4.0t A8 motor. 7 speed tranny used there is also not the 8 speed of D4, and you see it in the acceleration times and no better fuel economy even sized down. And definitely tighter inside, especially in back. Fit and finish is current competitive very nice and strong as always for Audis. But at least by time you get to Audi Exclusive Interior (mine is Vermont Brown), even best brand new S6 on showroom floor feels like a step down--I looked at it carefully on way to the CPO S8.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-26-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the detailed feedback, kind of what I would think. In an earlier response you mentioned that you changed from the stock 21s to 20s, is that right? I was considering doing same but mainly due to wanting all weather tires which they don't make for the 21s. Did you buy a Audi rims? How's the ride different? Also which sound system do you have and do you think the Bose is more than adequate if you have it. I like good sound systems and thought the Bose sounded pretty good. Thanks. Regards. Ned.

Last edited by Ngerstman; 10-26-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking used 2014 s8. Anything I should know?