A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Noise/Wear Issues: Need Decent Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tire Noise/Wear Issues: Need Decent Tires

2013 AUDI A8 NWB: 20 265-40

Had Problems with AUDI Pirelli Summer Ultra Perf OEM Tire that came with the car. They began making road noise at about 12K. I almost didnt believe the dealer as it sounded like a bearing. I rotated them and the noise was still there. But as Soon as I went to another tire the noise went away

Unfortunate the Conti sports were worse, not with respect to road noise but the tire wear! I got about 11K miles and the rear right hit the wear bar! The left rear wore badly too. And they were rotated about 5K after purchase. Also aligned about 1 month after purchase. The wear was atrocious.

The car’s driveability at this point (with 2 tires hitting the wear bar) is dreadfull

So I am done with soft rubber. I looked at the harder Pirelli rubber and Pirellis still seem to get crappy reviews. Even the harder rubber doesnt seem to last with Pirelli’s. What the hell???

I want to stay OEM size if possible, would rather not go 1 up. I just want some decent treadwear. Why is that so difficult to achieve? I figure since the harder rubber is the only rubber that offers any kind of mileage warranty I might as well try the harder rubber and hope the car doesn't fish tail on every corner.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I don't see how you can get there honestly. There are only 6 choices shown on TireRack, three of which are Pirellis, and one the Dunlop winter. Seems like only possible sorting your spec is the Pirelli A/S, maybe the noise cancelling one given your complaints.

But, to open up field of choices and get to other A/S's with better reviews and wear and such, really going to need to bump to 275/40. And unfortunately only other waste of time choice is write Audi, tire co's and Congress about how handful of tire co's and Audi scratched each others' backs, picked a goof ball orphan tire size to lock folks in, probably sold tires cheap to Audi and expensive in replacement market. Or, save your stamp/monthly gigabit count and the pee blowback on your pants and either buy more of same or make the 275 leap.

BTW, keep in mind on rubber itself summers are really set up for higher temps. If you drive a summer in cold weather, expect it to be hard as a rock. Not hard wear wise nonetheless, but just way off handling and traction wise. The A/S's there will be the more likely to handle better and not fishtail and such, with rubber more suited to cooler temps. Have the DWS06's on my S8 now and not feeling meaningful performance change from the DW's I ran in better weather--in everyday real world congested suburban driving that is. Plenty good rain and traction wise w/ recent storms.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-09-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with what MP4.2 has said. Don't think you have a choice not going to 275-40-20's if you're looking for tire life. Only downside is the tire is wider and wants to float easier when it snows.

I'd recommend GoodYear A/S Sports in a 275/40/20

I'm running DWS06's now and although OK, don't like them as well as the GoodYears. They are wearing faster, don't handle as well, and louder than the GoodYears. GoodYears also seemed better in the snow too weird as that sounds with the good reports of the DWS06.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I don't see how you can get there honestly. There are only 6 choices shown on TireRack, three of which are Pirellis, and one the Dunlop winter. Seems like only possible sorting your spec is the Pirelli A/S, maybe the noise cancelling one given your complaints.

But, to open up field of choices and get to other A/S's with better reviews and wear and such, really going to need to bump to 275/40. And unfortunately only other waste of time choice is write Audi, tire co's and Congress about how handful of tire co's and Audi scratched each others' backs, picked a goof ball orphan tire size to lock folks in, probably sold tires cheap to Audi and expensive in replacement market. Or, save your stamp/monthly gigabit count and the pee blowback on your pants and either buy more of same or make the 275 leap.

BTW, keep in mind on rubber itself summers are really set up for higher temps. If you drive a summer in cold weather, expect it to be hard as a rock. Not hard wear wise nonetheless, but just way off handling and traction wise. The A/S's there will be the more likely to handle better and not fishtail and such, with rubber more suited to cooler temps. Have the DWS06's on my S8 now and not feeling meaningful performance change from the DW's I ran in better weather--in everyday real world congested suburban driving that is. Plenty good rain and traction wise w/ recent storms.
First Tks for the reply . Others have also said to jump to 275

OK, lets say I do that, then what can I expect from a tire that has decent handling (doesnt need to b a max perf tire) and one I can get good tire wear with a mileage warranty?

TireRack mantioned Continental in the 275 size but Continental wouldnt assist me with their crappy Sport Contact Sports in the 265 OEM size so why the hell should I go back to continental? Pirelli still seems to suck across the board

BTW I live in S Fl so I am not worried about cold weather. I just want a decent tire that lasts. On the other hand I dont want to be fish tailig on every corner. But I dont drive aggressively in the A8 which is why it pisses me off that my conti sports did not last
Old 12-09-2016, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GR8-LIFE
First Tks for the reply . Others have also said to jump to 275

OK, lets say I do that, then what can I expect from a tire that has decent handling (doesnt need to b a max perf tire) and one I can get good tire wear with a mileage warranty?

TireRack mantioned Continental in the 275 size but Continental wouldnt assist me with their crappy Sport Contact Sports in the 265 OEM size so why the hell should I go back to continental? Pirelli still seems to suck across the board

BTW I live in S Fl so I am not worried about cold weather. I just want a decent tire that lasts. On the other hand I dont want to be fish tailig on every corner. But I dont drive aggressively in the A8 which is why it pisses me off that my conti sports did not last
Just parse through the choices on TireRack and see if anything grabs you. Look at test results too. They would list relevant warranties. If in SF and want to do it the "old fashioned way," you can also look at something like America's Tire--same as Discount Tire but the live store side. You could go in to a shop and find out more. One in Millbrae, another in Redwood City, etc.

I'm running Conti DWS-06 for light snow/winter and Conti DW's otherwise. I think DW is likely a better or at least new design than CS3's. CS3's are sort of a dead end and superseded essentially, but not in the orphan D4 265 size as an OE direct replacement tire. Not enough use so far on either tire to get a sense of wear. On my D3 W12, I got 20-22K out of a lot of summers (PS2's, SportMaxx's)) and barely got 30K out of some Michelin AS+'s. I suspect w/ similar weight and yet more power, not going to look any better on D4 S8.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Pirellis, and don't like them, too loud. might switch to 275/40s and get Michelin All seasons, have always like those tires, much quieter but then I have to worry, maybe, about snow in chicago, not sure. maybe quattro will save me.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by frybear
I have the Pirellis, and don't like them, too loud. might switch to 275/40s and get Michelin All seasons, have always like those tires, much quieter but then I have to worry, maybe, about snow in chicago, not sure. maybe quattro will save me.
Unfortunately no Michelin "car" A/S's available in 275's; currently you have to back off to the 255's. But they are listed as a size in Europe now, so hopefully they get here. The newest one (in available sizes) sound another notch above the Conti DWS 06's. Having run the Michelins on my D3 in a prior design, the big knock on them then was snow and ice performance. And yes, it was scary from first person experience and way too easy to spin or slide out rear. Where the Conti came in stronger. The new Michelin (if it gets here) addresses that head on.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Just parse through the choices on TireRack and see if anything grabs you. Look at test results too. They would list relevant warranties. .
What has been pissing me off the most in tires is this industry is a nasty indusry for consumerss. There are No standards, guidelines etc. Tred wear ratings are inflated and as i have found out the warranties arent worth paper they are printed on.

What I am now demanding in tires on a lux car is decent tred life and little road noise. High Perf tires just dont do it especially Pirellis and the Conti's

I think I might pull the trigger on the FIREHAWK AS tires or the summer version "INDY 500". I AM willing to accept performance trade off for longer tread life (although I admit I hope my A8 doesnt fish tail like crazy) and the Pro review below seems like this TIRE will fit the bill. The high perf summer version is the INDY 500 which seems like they will do better than the conti's or pirellis but I will probably go with the AS version. Goodyea offers an AS perf tire too. It will be one of the 3 but most likely the one below

TireRack.com Tire Reviews
Old 12-11-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a LOT more choices if you go to 285/35-20. The rolling diameter is 1.7% smaller than stock, but that's no big deal. The reduction in sidewall profile may increase ride stiffness a bit, but I'd be willing to take that in exchange for better rubber and less noise. I've NEVER had a set of Pirelli all season or summer tires that I liked. They were all noisy and all sucked in the rain.

In the 285/35-20 size, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the cat's meow, though a tad expensive.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ritz
There are a LOT more choices if you go to 285/35-20. The rolling diameter is 1.7% smaller than stock, but that's no big deal. The reduction in sidewall profile may increase ride stiffness a bit, but I'd be willing to take that in exchange for better rubber and less noise. I've NEVER had a set of Pirelli all season or summer tires that I liked. They were all noisy and all sucked in the rain.

In the 285/35-20 size, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the cat's meow, though a tad expensive.
285/35 is not a recommended size on a 9" wheel, which is what basically all the D4's have as the OE equipment. 275/35 is the max for 9". You can find it in the TireRack spec pages, or on many tire manufacturer spec sheets. I remember it from the D3 fitment when it was 275/35 as the optional 20" fitment I had on the W12. Yes, folks did (rarely) report running them on D3's nonetheless, but it wasn't common.