A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick to kick-open/hands-free power trunk open

Old 08-24-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that's handy! I will be trying the close from inside feature often. THANKS! For the tip. It seemed odd that you couldn't. I've hit the switch , but didn't try holding up
Old 08-26-2016, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Intermittent success

I was finally able to open it a couple of times by standing at a stand still, and kicking my right foot at an angle. Unfortunately, it does not work every time. There has to be a better way.

Also, my trunk switch in the driver's side door only opens the trunk lid. You have to use the switch in the trunk lid to close it.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusaudi
I was finally able to open it a couple of times by standing at a stand still, and kicking my right foot at an angle. Unfortunately, it does not work every time. There has to be a better way.

Also, my trunk switch in the driver's side door only opens the trunk lid. You have to use the switch in the trunk lid to close it.
You have to hold the switch until the trunk closes.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The ignition also has to be on for it to close it from the inside switch. At least it does on the Q7.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why wouldn't this be in owners manual?
Neither works on my 2011 A8
Old 08-27-2016, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Happy to report the trunk close fors work accessory Pwr on and hold button till closed. If you release before closed , it stops.
The trunk open DIES NOT. On Work. On 2011 D4. Not something I'd use anyway.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I have had more success standing at the right edge of the rear license plate and using my left foot in a quick thrust forward and the trunk opens about 1-2 seconds later. Works probably 90% of the time as someone else said. Haven't tried the door switch thing but hard pressed to think of why I would! After opening the trunk, I put something in or take something out and use the close button on the trunk lid. Am I missing something here?
Old 08-27-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

For whatever reason I've been driving and had the trunk open indicator on? It was down but not properly latched. I had to pull over, get out and reclose. The trunk switch will be very handy if it happens in future. Also if someone puts something in trunk while I'm in driver seat, I can close with switch without explaining the soft close feature. Sometimes my doors have been closed like a '58 Chevy
Old 08-27-2016, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Garycw
For whatever reason I've been driving and had the trunk open indicator on? It was down but not properly latched. I had to pull over, get out and reclose. The trunk switch will be very handy if it happens in future. Also if someone puts something in trunk while I'm in driver seat, I can close with switch without explaining the soft close feature. Sometimes my doors have been closed like a '58 Chevy
I hear that! Unbelievable how hard some people slam doors!
Old 08-28-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm thinking about getting signs made that say "don't slam the doors!"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trick to kick-open/hands-free power trunk open