A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB Power taps in the D4 (2016)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB Power taps in the D4 (2016)?

I just recently purchased a 2016 A8L. I'm not a fan of the MMI cable, or connection to your phone. Plus I learned (After delivery) that you can't run your phone from the MMI from both bluetooth and hard-connected MMI. Although this was annoying, I prefer to have my phone out where I can see it anyway. I have a few questions for the forum:

1. Why isn't there a 'hidden' 12v power tap in the center console (Under the arm rests?) The one where the cup holder is okay, but horribly located (near water/cups... really?) But I like a clean look, where can I connect a few USB cords without running something to the back?

2. Has anyone placed aftermarket USB power taps? If so where? I have a really high-end electronics installer that can help me with this; has anyone done this?

3. Has anyone installed a radar detector? If so, how did you run the power? I have a blendmount from my C7-S6, which ironically works on the D4 A8L, so I'm trying to figure out where you've tapped power and run the cords to the mirror area.

4. Has anyone run power-taps to the middle console in the rear? I'm thinking ahead of the curve, and checking on power in the armrest for my kids to tap power for their Iphones/Ipads, etc. Or perhaps the door?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great question, would love to see what other people say. I just got my 13 A8L this weekend, not enjoying the location of the AMI cable either. I am thinking of getting a AMI - USB cable to plug into my iPhone power case. That way it will charge it but I will still connect to Bluetooth. Hopefully it works.

Another question, is there a way to make the 12V outlets work when the car is not running? I LOVED that about my 05 A8, I could leave my phone in overnight and come out in the morning to a full charge.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid questions, contemplating the USB issue myself on my '14 S8. Annoying that something so basic was a miss here. Feel like the '09 Malibu I rented in Houston 3 years ago had this...first wold problems indeed.

Where would you locate the USB tap in the front if not the console?

On the Radar, I know there are some threads here where guys have Passports/V1s in. Actually looked at a '13 S8 that had the passport hard wired with laser jamming, it was sweeeeeet. The V1 mounted up b the rear view and hard wired in is also decent but haven't seen where you would put the remote. In my old M5 i had it mounted directly into the ash tray in front of the shifter and it was super discrete and apparently easy.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

On #4 about radar detector, I actually went a new way this time. In past I have variously jumped into a fuse box (on D3 or Mini it is in side of dash or adjacent kick area) or powered from center upper console. Can find how to's on this board for that method I think. Used to tap under dash, but with lower knee airbag and D model difficulty getting under there, I stopped that.

Newest one on S8 was to use the Valentine "Savvy" OBDII jack set up. So I just started at OBDII port with their adapter. Put detector to left of mirror with suction cup mount. D4 with big clunky inside mirror and sensor stuff that are now more common is way harder to place detector than D3. Then I tucked flat cable into headliner after placing detector and leaving a little bit of working slack. Somewhat painfully worked it into A pillar trim right at windshield glass with some plastic trim tools. Got down to dash and did same thing at side (quite tight there), finally arriving under dash. Just tucked extra and the little Savvy connector port into crevice in lower trim right near OBDII port. Can't see any of it, and 100% removable almost without tools--or just abandon cheap phone type cable and cut off ends. If P3 ever comes out with their digital gauge set up (have it in Q5), I may have to either rewire or use a port splitter, but chances they get to D4 I bet is low.