A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VCDS Mod for Heated Steering Wheel Temp D4 A8 S8

Old 02-13-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default VCDS Mod for Heated Steering Wheel Temp D4 A8 S8

Mod of the week if you will. I recall a few recent posts about folks not thinking the steering wheel was heating up enough. So, try just dialing the temp up via VCDS. Tested and confirmed on my 2015 D4 S8.
Change the temperature of the heated steering wheel:
The factory preset temperature is set to 28 degrees C, if you want to increase (or decrease) it, go to module 16 (steering wheel), Adaptation and select channel 10. The preset value is 28 which relates to 28 degrees. Change this to a temperature of your choice in the New value box. Hit Test button to confirm, then Save to store it. You can recheck if you want by reading the same channel again, which should now show the updated Stored value.
See below for the example I implemented from 28 to 32C. I may dial it another degree or two on next pass.
Attached Thumbnails VCDS Mod for Heated Steering Wheel Temp D4 A8 S8-fullsizerender-10.jpg  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-13-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

this is excellent!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

A while back, I scanned all my modules and emailed Rosstech copies, per there standing request. Since then, probably with much other input, they seem to have gotten more menu options than there used to be. I know I was digging around every module I could access, and these things you're finding weren't there when I still had my A8. Thank you for sharing your discoveries, I have also added this to the list.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jack88
A while back, I scanned all my modules and emailed Rosstech copies, per there standing request. Since then, probably with much other input, they seem to have gotten more menu options than there used to be. I know I was digging around every module I could access, and these things you're finding weren't there when I still had my A8. Thank you for sharing your discoveries, I have also added this to the list.
Yes, I'm realizing there are sort of two or even three generations of mods. The first are the ones you and I probably both know historically that go back even a couple generations--the windows up/down w remote stuff (albeit now more folded into MMI), various chimes and lighting type tweaks, gear display, MPG display correction, etc. A few got added in along the way as things advanced into a more updated group like adaptive brake lights (rapid flashing when braking to point of ABS), gauge sweep, etc., but was hit and miss even w/ D3 which ones worked in which not. Now there are the ones that go with more recent equipment, or where changes may have been made to hardware to make the switches now work digitally, add feedback loops and sensors, etc. It isn't explained that way, but I sense advances in the module and electronics sides are now allowing these. Lap timer display that has been around a while now--I posted on that last year. Or in the newer world, I figured out the applicability of the seat and wheel ones on comfort side. Just implemented a tweak to lane assist tonight that I hope may turn it from marginally useful (and with some annoyances) to better. More to come after a long drive in coming days to give it a good test run. Various others on deck or trying to implement.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-13-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks! I'm one of those that have posted that the heating is minimal at best, and my dealer even installed a new steering wheel a few weeks ago, which did...absolutely nothing! same heating temp, low at best.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you amend the time for the massage seats to stay on>? stock sucks, way too short
Old 02-15-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lennon31987
can you amend the time for the massage seats to stay on>? stock sucks, way too short
Looks like you found my other post already--on the massage timer, the intensity, and the timer(s) on seat heating too. But just to cross link for the future: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...nsity-2914201/
Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Now if someone could figure out how to get the trunk to close with the key I would be extremely happy. I know it works in Europe.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NYLawyer
Now if someone could figure out how to get the trunk to close with the key I would be extremely happy. I know it works in Europe.
Actually, stay tuned. Need to try one more tweak, but so far I have it implemented as long as you hold down remote button continuously. Is that how Europe works? Audi doesn't like things closing by themselves without operator monitoring--for legal reasons...
Old 02-16-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Actually, stay tuned. Need to try one more tweak, but so far I have it implemented as long as you hold down remote button continuously. Is that how Europe works? Audi doesn't like things closing by themselves without operator monitoring--for legal reasons...
Great. Yes that's how it works in europe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VCDS Mod for Heated Steering Wheel Temp D4 A8 S8