A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertical scratches on tinted door windows. Anyone else?

Old 10-27-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vertical scratches on tinted door windows. Anyone else?

I live in Vegas so tint is a must for me. I had many MB, BMW, and Audi. This is the first time I'm dealing with this issue. My detail guy pointed out to me that I am getting very visible vertical scratches on my tint. He told me that this was related to window jamb and rubber/plastic lining that rubs against it? Anyway, took the car to my Audi dealer and guess what? They told me that they see this all the time and that this is how Audi does their windows tolerances and that there is no fix for it. He told me this was a German thing. After telling him of all the German cars I owned he walked back his comments and basically told me that this is what he has to say and I should not expect Audi fixing it. After service was complete I was told that dust was cleared/wiped from my door and that should help things... laughable.

I wonder if anyone else has this issue. I tend to overspend on my tint and clear bra products and I get the best and the most expensive and never had this issue. However, I did buy this car tinted already, so I do not know the quality of the tint it has, but I know it is not the best tint out there. Maybe the current tint film I have is softer or weaker, but I never seen this before on any car really.

Problem is, I do not know how much longer I will keep the car. I also do not want new problems by taking off the current tint and putting a new one on. With my luck I will be out a grand+ and get a new issue...

Anyone else with this on the D4?

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 10-27-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

D4, not so far. D3 yes, though mine were mostly horizontal right at bottom of visible part of glass. Mostly saw it when sun was at an angle to passenger side of car and I looked over there. Yes, it is the door (window) assembly. Roll window all the way down. You should find not just the outer typical weather strip, but also now an inner one and a tight gap overall. They should have the fuzzy coating on them too, just like the insides of the main door seals. Helps keep down squeaks. But also a great dust collector with new dust applied every time you roll down windows. Then window pushes past the now sort of sandpaper, and scrapes happen. Damage already done, but on my occasional OCD days if I would remember, I would spray extra Windex onto a rag corner and wipe that seal area as best I could. They come together kind of like two lips, so it would take some effort to get rag in between them at first. I've seen it with both conventional films like Suntek and higher end films like 3M Crystalline--even w/ better quality, dust borne abrasives against any sort of plastic are always going to prevail.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-27-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only issue I have is passengers flinging seatbelt off and hitting with buckle. It makes little nicks. They add up
Old 10-27-2016, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

That kind of person gets exactly ONE ride in my car. Problem solved.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian
It's pretty to do easily. The 2nd time is a issue I won't holidays. Mentioned to wife other day, she acted like I was crazy?
Old 10-27-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Keeping those seals cleaner will help, but I can't say how much. Passengers have damaged a few things on my cars, and they never understand why I'm upset...I hate that.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is not caused by passengers. I also noticed that the tint is showing wear everywhere it touches the top of the window frame as well. Makes me think this is cheaper tint installed prior to my ownership. I'll talk to my tint people and see if they will give me a deal on taking this one off and replacing it. Cheap tint just makes me angry...
Old 10-28-2016, 01:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm seeing the same on my 16' A8L with the tint. The car came from Audi Henderson although I'm the 2nd owner. I also have an obvious OOPS scratch on the passenger window that bugs the crap out of me... I was going to ask Audi Henderson who tinted it and have that window redone. I was also going to tint the windshield.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's harder to take off than to put on passengers think I have OCD about "the car. .?but it's not on there equidistant pine on credit either.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian
My wife promised not to do it again, but rules are rules. Regards. Ned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vertical scratches on tinted door windows. Anyone else?