A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went for a test drive to compare to my 750i, bought an A8L

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went for a test drive to compare to my 750i, bought an A8L

So my 2006 750i is up there in mileage and I was getting tired of how much it wanted to visit service ($9K for a new transmission!), figured I was going back to a Lexus for the reliablity and then someone told me to go test drive the Audi.
Haven't been in an Audi for years but I was telling my wife how sexy they look. I just didn't want another German maintenance nightmare like the BMW was turing into.

Started reading reviews and the 2011 and newer seem to have good reviews so I went to test drive a used 2013 to see what it was about. Love the front end...and the interior...Good Lord it's beautiful! Drove it and the car felt as fast if not faster than my 750i. When they told me it was a V6 I was blown away...I actually made them open the hood to check because I was SURE I was driving a V8. Electonics were MUCH nicer than my BMW (Bluetooth streaming).

So I say thanks for the test drive and let me know when a used white one comes in, 2011 or newer. I'm still trying to figure out what happened, but after dropping the price nearly $10K I walked out of there with a new 2013 White with Brown interior. Someone want to by a used 750i?

I hope it's not a maintenance ***** like my BMW was....

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  99.1 KB
Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by booshwa
So my 2006 750i is up there in mileage and I was getting tired of how much it wanted to visit service ($9K for a new transmission!), figured I was going back to a Lexus for the reliablity and then someone told me to go test drive the Audi.
Haven't been in an Audi for years but I was telling my wife how sexy they look. I just didn't want another German maintenance nightmare like the BMW was turing into.

Started reading reviews and the 2011 and newer seem to have good reviews so I went to test drive a used 2013 to see what it was about. Love the front end...and the interior...Good Lord it's beautiful! Drove it and the car felt as fast if not faster than my 750i. When they told me it was a V6 I was blown away...I actually made them open the hood to check because I was SURE I was driving a V8. Electonics were MUCH nicer than my BMW (Bluetooth streaming).

So I say thanks for the test drive and let me know when a used white one comes in, 2011 or newer. I'm still trying to figure out what happened, but after dropping the price nearly $10K I walked out of there with a new 2013 White with Brown interior. Someone want to by a used 750i?

Great story, and great car - enjoy!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats. A beautiful car. Looks great in white.

I had almost the same story, six weeks ago. Had a 2008 750, went to drive an A8 after driving a new 750, walked out with a 2013 A8 L 4.0. Have been very happy with it ever since.

Enjoy!

Adam
Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Story Here...

Originally Posted by adamcb
Congrats. A beautiful car. Looks great in white.

I had almost the same story, six weeks ago. Had a 2008 750, went to drive an A8 after driving a new 750, walked out with a 2013 A8 L 4.0. Have been very happy with it ever since.

Enjoy!

Adam

Funny...very similar experience too. We were not 750 owners but were ready to get a low mileage 2011 or 2012 750Li. I asked for the maintenance and repair history for the two vehicles I was interested in. When we saw how many times they both had been in the shop, we got scared and sat down and researched reliability history more carefully. We had already driven Lexus, and although nice, could not get there on overall feel and looks. We knew from friends that the repair record was not great with BMW. We saw the U.S. News rankings of combined reliability and reviews and went to drive the Audi. I was an Audi owner back in 1985 (Coupe GT), and had written off Audi on quality in recent years, although the 85 coupe was a great car. When we saw how in the last few years quality was improving, we had an open mind. We got a low mileage 2013 and we love it!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm also looking at a new 2013 A8L. The list is about $95k. The dealership dropped the price to invoice (down 6%) but obviously I would like to get more off. If your dealership dropped the price $10k it has to be below invoice. If you don't mind sharing the info, I wondering how much below invoice did your wind up buying it for?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice color combination.

The 4.0 Turbo is much faster/quicker than the website numbers. It's really not that much slower than the S8.

It's a blast!

Enjoy.

Mike
Old 11-02-2013, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just picked up a 2014 4.0 and the smooth transfer of power and massive acceleration is fantastic.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the brown interior you have the Nougat brown, or was it the Design Selection Baolo Brown?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you got a nicely loaded A8. I had a previous 2009 BMW 750i. I think the BMW had nicer seats and leather, but I did have troubles. I will probably stay with Audi for a while.

Enjoy your new A8.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2013 A8L 3.0, I almost switched to a 550i just recently because the A8L feels a bit too big/long for me, and then I test drove a couple of 550i's and they have this horrible acceleration lag for 2 seconds when you floor the pedal, and un-smooth power delivery which apparently is quite common with BMW models these days due to the way they do throttle wire by mapping, I also came to find out that the BMW 550i which is a smaller car is actually about 1000 lbs heavier then the A8L, anyways it made me realize that I should be quite happy with the grin inducing power delivery in the A8, and it handles quite well for its size.

Quick Reply: Went for a test drive to compare to my 750i, bought an A8L