A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with my TDI.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my TDI.

I like to get a new car every few years and I've reached the point where I want to sell or trade in my 2014 A8L TDI, but I'm not sure what to do with regard to the upcoming settlement for the emissions cheating issue. I'd feel good if I knew I would get the same deal offered to 2.0 TDI owners (buyback plus cash). Now it sounds like Audi is going to offer owners of its premiere cars only cash plus a fix for the emissions issue.

I'm not very happy with Audi in general because of this situation, but if they screw me over on this issue, I'll never buy another Audi again. Mostly I'm upset about the uncertainty and also with how they keep pushing the settlement hearing dates back again and again. I feel like I'm trapped in limbo and don't know what to do with my car. If I trade it in now, I feel like I'll get a bad deal and will also miss out on the settlement. So I have to wait and see what happens, but for how long? I'm just curious to hear what other owners feel about this and how people are handling things as far as moving on from their current TDI cars.

Last edited by SteveK; 12-04-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

I dont have a TDI, but live in CA that has a lot of the lead on this via its smog agency--"CARB". I have posted a fair amount about in on the Q5 forum, and there are literally 100x the volume of posts there about 3.0TDI as here.

FWIW, my guess said directly is you will get jacked around maybe through about end of year, but at some point pretty soon both CARB and the judge are going to say no more, and put gun fully to head. CARB did that earlier when Audi/VW was foot dragging admitting the 3.0 was also tampered with, and CARB blew them out of water with a summary fix rejection they published and press released broadly. CARB has the regulatory ability to completely toast Audi/VW/Porsche, which i think they realize, and I suspect is in no mood to take too much crap from them anymore either given their prior fraud--that involved CARB directly.

Yes, pretty obvious Audi/Porsche/ VV don't want to pay out serious $ on the higher value 3.0T vehicles out there, and also pretty obvious from the 2.0T experience owners will cash out if serious money is put up. As you suspect, that is probably where the rub is--VW/Audi trying to back down from the 2.0T era deal. I also suspect technically the 3.0T is going to be a fairly serious neuter performance wise, MPG wise or both. They don't really want to hear that too much on Q5 board though, or thinking is more optimistic though I think w/ out much foundation.

Finally, if you sell before settlement you likely don't get the deal and the next owner does, so you are sort in that limbo as you say. They won't be selling more new TDI's (except maybe Q7's), so there will be a certain loyal following. Folks seem to think they can chip them or evade whatever the fix is. That will likely depend on state; I suspect here in CA for example that won't fly, while in a fair number of others it might.

Hope that helps, but all speculative as the negotiations drag on and w/out any new technical info on scope and impacts of fix.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-04-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of this is extremely frustrating and irritating. The local BMW dealership currently has a low-miles 2016 BMW 750 xDrive that is CPO'd with a 5 year 75,000 mile warranty and their asking price is a few grand below blue book value. And I feel like I'm tied to my Audi at the moment so I'm not even going to bother trying to make a trade because I don't want to lose out on the potential settlement cash. What's more, I don't even like to drive my Audi this time of year because it gives me coughing fits when the temp is below 10 degrees F. I complained about this to my salesman the first winter I owned the car and this was long before it became public knowledge that Audi was cheating on emissions. I really wish I had sold the car at that time, but this problem only shows up when it's super cold out and I thought maybe all diesel cars were like that (this is my first and last diesel). Anyway, I really hope this settlement is finalized soon because I'm beyond ready to move on from this car.