A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the little "speakers" or microphones up by the interior lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What are the little "speakers" or microphones up by the interior lights?

I'm talking about where the sunroof buttons and light buttons are in the front of the car, above the console. There appear to be two little round circles covered in fabric and I can't tell if they're microphones or what? TIA
Old 11-29-2015, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
I'm talking about where the sunroof buttons and light buttons are in the front of the car, above the console. There appear to be two little round circles covered in fabric and I can't tell if they're microphones or what? TIA
They are to emit "white noise" which is part of the noise canceling system to help create a quieter cabin atmosphere. Not sure if they are present in all A8's or as part of a package such as dual pane glass.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ah. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm pretty sure those are the microphones for voice input. I know the A8 uses two of them to help provide optimal clarity for the receiver of the call, and to help with voice command input.

Noise cancellation is for models with cylinder deactivation only, I thought.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the noise cancellation mikes are in the headliner closer to the Windows.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Don't have my MMI guide handy, but as I recall those little round things up in the headliner are microphones used to enhance the voice command and telephone voice capabilities. Noise cancellation is done via the car's sound system speakers on 4.0T V8 equipped cars (engines with variable cylinder capability) IIRC.

Edit/Update---

Re: Audi’s noise-cancelling speakers --- Yes, done via sound system speakers:

"A noise reduction system developed by Audi for its new variable displacement V8 engine seems certain to spread into other drivetrains in its range.

Dubbed Active Noise Control (ANC), it counteracts the drone of the engine by generating an inaudible noise of its own via the car’s loud speaker system. The system cuts in when the engine switches from eight to four cylinders to save fuel.

ANC utilizes the principle of “destructive interference”, which means when two sound waves of the same frequency overlap, their amplitudes cancel each-other out, provided they are equal and 180 degrees out of phase.

Japanese luxury car maker Infiniti has been using similar tech in its M sedan.

ANC has debuted with the new twin turbo 4.0-litre V8 engine that has been launched in the S8, S7 and S6 models. All three will be on sale in Australia late in 2012.

ANC works in combination with new active engine mounts that neutralise the “second order” vibrations generated in four-cylinder mode by creating counter-vibrations.

The active engine mounts are powered by electro-magnets and operate like the speakers in a hi-fi system.

While both systems are non-switchable in production cars, Audi rigged up a demonstration at last week’s S6 and 7 international launch in Germany that simulated the extra vibration and noise generated when the engine is running on four cylinders.

The cabin of the S6 Avant (wagon) was noticeably quieter when the systems were operating. Out on the open road in production cars the transition from eight to four cylinders proved impossible to pick except via dashboard indicator.

Advertisement

Audi claims the V8’s cylinder deactivation systems provides a fuel saving of up to 10 per cent when running steadily at 100km/h.

Apart from preserving the sort of cabin calm required of an Audi, these noise attenuation measures mean the engine’s design as a high-performance V8 does not have to be compromised to account for its four-cylinder duties.

Both systems are developed by Audi in co-operation with suppliers and are exclusive to it. While Bentley also uses the new 4.0-litre V8 with cylinder deactivation, its version does not employ active noise control or engine mounts.

S6 and S7 technical manager Renald Lasowksi told Drive that both hybrid and diesel engines made sense as future applications for the systems because of their inherent noise and vibration issues.

“We have of course considered where it can be applied and that (hybrid) would be a second case of application … because in driving mode you are often in a situation where you actuate the engine,” Lasowski told Drive via a translator.

“Diesel would be a potential application case but of course we are a company and enterprise and we have to look at costs. Active engine mounts are 300 Euros per set while traditional hydraulic engine mounts are 40-50 Euros.”

However, Lasowski baulked at the suggestion high costs could mean it would take years for the technology to become more widespread: “It need not be years, technology goes in leaps and bounds.”

Read more: Audi?s noise-cancelling speakers
Follow us: @drivecomau on Twitter | Drive.com.au on Facebook

Last edited by derfA8L; 11-30-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. Now I guess i need to drop in a V8!