A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a fair price for a brake job?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's a fair price for a brake job?

My brakes are making noise when slowing down at moderate speeds. Took it to my local indy and was told $1710 for 4 pads and rotors, all OEM. I need to confirm if that was parts and labor or just parts. I was having him check out the car as my warranty ends next month and I wanted to see if there were any other issues with the car. Regardless, first major expense on the D4, is this a fair price? Curious what Audi is charging because if they are close in price I would just have them do it so I at least get a nice loaner...
Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

That price sounds like its parts and labor. My Audi shop quoted me at $1245 to only have the rear brakes and rotors changed.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you source the parts yourself and pay for labor you should be around a grand at independent shop, in my opinion. OEM is your only option for front rotors but their are plenty of options for the rear as well as pads.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceLeroy1984
That price sounds like its parts and labor. My Audi shop quoted me at $1245 to only have the rear brakes and rotors changed.
I paid $850 for my rears at Silver Spring a couple years ago, and I felt it was a lot. After hearing from you guys, maybe I got lucky. I don't remember what car you have exactly Animala, so the bigger OEM brakes on a 2013 price as follows:
Front Pads: $156
Front Rotors: $491.40 (both)
Rear Pads: $97.50
Rear Rotors: $366.60 (both)
Total parts: $1111.50 + shipping
Keep in mind, that's for the most expensive and largest brakes of that year. The smaller ones run about $870 total in OEM parts. You can always check with a dealer to confirm part numbers or have them match the online price when ordering for your specific car. Audi Silver Spring always did for me if I asked. Here's the online ordering site where I got the prices. It's also worth noting that the front are changed as normal and the rears use VCDS to do the job, realistically taking about an hour's labor total for both sides.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

For my A6 I purchased front and rear Zimmerman rotors (prob used by Audi) and OEM pads online for about $480 and my Audi dealer will install them for $550. $1030 all in including the rear wear sensor cable.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
For my A6 I purchased front and rear Zimmerman rotors (prob used by Audi) and OEM pads online for about $480 and my Audi dealer will install them for $550. $1030 all in including the rear wear sensor cable.
ha...wish the s8 would even come close to that number lol...if i could do front and rear for that price i would do it right now even though i dont need it.

oem front rotors for s8 is $600 from the cheapest place online.

anyhow anyone know of any ceramic pads for the s8? seems like a couple brands are out there however no one makes both front and rear...hawk makes fronts and a some cheap company makes rears lol.

these brakes look like brembos...wonder if brembo brake pads for 380mm rotors would work with these
Old 03-23-2017, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
ha...wish the s8 would even come close to that number lol...if i could do front and rear for that price i would do it right now even though i dont need it.

anyhow anyone know of any ceramic pads for the s8? seems like a couple brands are out there however no one makes both front and rear...hawk makes fronts and a some cheap company makes rears lol.

these brakes look like brembos...wonder if brembo brake pads for 380mm rotors would work with these
$245 each, plus shipping. I know my dealer will price match the online price, it'd be worth calling and asking when the time comes to avoid shipping costs, unless of course you prefer the convenience of delivery to your door.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024

audiusaparts.com that I usually use would cost me $515, plus some shipping but no sales tax--assuming I have correct part #. As usual, cheaper than an ecs for dealer OE if by chance you looked somewhere like that. Also realize that in a dealer job, they are going to want to replace the noise dampener pads behind the brake pads for at least a couple more C bills just for parts set. The DIY'ers and at least some indies are reusing those if removed carefully from old set.

I already have a set of front pads in hand for the S8 in my typical EBC Red Stuff for lower dust and similar to OE feel. The rears are pretty commodity typically; the fronts are the ones that are still harder to find in 400mm. If you want to go a bit off beaten path, Carbotech already lists all their compounds for both front and rear for S8; several of those are ceramic based. From trying some on Mini w/ JCW Brembo type brakes, they were more dust than EBC reds.

Front set up in 400mm is a lot different than 380mm set up for calipers. The rotors are the same quasi two piece design, but not the calipers. Yes, 400mm is basically full on 6 piston Brembo, and then no floating caliper pin stuff with pistons only on inner side. The shape is a little bit different, but they are also almost identical to the 400mm CCB calipers, though CCB's have a further heat insulator at face of pistons. The 380mm is a more typical volume set up--twin pistons, one side only, floating caliper on pins. Pads would probably only be same by coincidence in front, though you can always look at Audi parts slides to confirm.
Attached Thumbnails What's a fair price for a brake job?-screen-shot-2017-03-23-6.13.54-pm.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-23-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Also, at least for the 380mm D4 owners, here is a link to a Q5 thread underway currently. SQ5 uses the same 380mm set up Audi borrowed from the D4 parts bin. Likewise, some of the quotes there seem pretty ridiculous to me.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...24%24-2916917/
Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
audiusaparts.com that I usually use would cost me $515, plus some shipping but no sales tax--assuming I have correct part #. As usual, cheaper than an ecs for dealer OE if by chance you looked somewhere like that. Also realize that in a dealer job, they are going to want to replace the noise dampener pads behind the brake pads for at least a couple more C bills just for parts set. The DIY'ers and at least some indies are reusing those if removed carefully from old set.

I already have a set of front pads in hand for the S8 in my typical EBC Red Stuff for lower dust and similar to OE feel. The rears are pretty commodity typically; the fronts are the ones that are still harder to find in 400mm. If you want to go a bit off beaten path, Carbotech already lists all their compounds for both front and rear for S8; several of those are ceramic based. From trying some on Mini w/ JCW Brembo type brakes, they were more dust than EBC reds.

Front set up in 400mm is a lot different than 380mm set up for calipers. The rotors are the same quasi two piece design, but not the calipers. Yes, 400mm is basically full on 6 piston Brembo, and then no floating caliper pin stuff with pistons only on inner side. The shape is a little bit different, but they are also almost identical to the 400mm CCB calipers, though CCB's have a further heat insulator at face of pistons. The 380mm is a more typical volume set up--twin pistons, one side only, floating caliper on pins. Pads would probably only be same by coincidence in front, though you can always look at Audi parts slides to confirm.
nice...so are the ebc ceramic? when i was driving my 335i i went with akebono euros and they were really nice pads with a lot less dust. i would like to go ceramic but willing to try anything that doesnt squeal and have less dust.

when you go with ebc fronts to they make the matching rears? or do you just go with another brand?

Quick Reply: What's a fair price for a brake job?