A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a fair price for a brake job?

Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
nice...so are the ebc ceramic? when i was driving my 335i i went with akebono euros and they were really nice pads with a lot less dust. i would like to go ceramic but willing to try anything that doesnt squeal and have less dust.

when you go with ebc fronts to they make the matching rears? or do you just go with another brand?
Yes, they have been ceramic for a lot of years now. They also have a bedding compound on face that can help if switching from one ceramic to another for pad deposits. That is usually not an issue for semimetallics or organics, but can be if crossing ceramic compounds on already used rotors.

Yes, I fully expect they have rears too. I typically need to do fronts first, so just bought them so far to have on hand for when I see they will be needed. May do it early anyway to tame the dust some, plus avoid blowing a sensor I can hopefully reuse otherwise. D4 sensor (at least for S8) costs more on a prorated basis than milking a little more pad wear. Thus by ⅔ pad wear, I may do it. Front EBC's in my experience have (limited) visible dust of similar look to dealer/OE rears, so once I get the fronts the worst of the visual shortcomings of typical OE/dealer pads is dealt with. I typically have no noise with either OE or EBC Reds, and rotated back and forth between them a few times on D3 W12. Feel has also been OEM consistent. That is, a good OEM set up with progressive feel, neither slippery like some ceramics can get tagged with, nor too much grabbiness with a sudden pedal stab.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, they have been ceramic for a lot of years now. They also have a bedding compound on face that can help if switching from one ceramic to another for pad deposits. That is usually not an issue for semimetallics or organics, but can be if crossing ceramic compounds on already used rotors.

Yes, I fully expect they have rears too. I typically need to do fronts first, so just bought them so far to have on hand for when I see they will be needed. May do it early anyway to tame the dust some, plus avoid blowing a sensor I can hopefully reuse otherwise. D4 sensor (at least for S8) costs more on a prorated basis than milking a little more pad wear. Thus by ⅔ pad wear, I may do it. Front EBC's in my experience have (limited) visible dust of similar look to dealer/OE rears, so once I get the fronts the worst of the visual shortcomings of typical OE/dealer pads is dealt with. I typically have no noise with either OE or EBC Reds, and rotated back and forth between them a few times on D3 W12. Feel has also been OEM consistent. That is, a good OEM set up with progressive feel, neither slippery like some ceramics can get tagged with, nor too much grabbiness with a sudden pedal stab.
But wouldn't having ceramic up front and semi metallic in rear make a weird breaking feel? I didn't even want to do different brands of ceramic front and rear but different material all together might not be good.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
But wouldn't having ceramic up front and semi metallic in rear make a weird breaking feel? I didn't even want to do different brands of ceramic front and rear but different material all together might not be good.
Just do both if concerned. I have never felt a practical difference really, whether front, rear or both for OE vs. EBC Reds, on D3 W12 very close in weight to D4 V8's. Brake pads are one of those politics and religion subjects (along with motor oil), but I have liked EBC for that close intersection from my own experience over many pad sets whee I do my own brakes any know the parts that went in--(quality) OE feel yet still less dust. I have felt a delta though with other brands if they are grabby so certainly not oblivious to it. Mintex red box was maybe the most notorious for me, a low cost very low dust UK pad. More in rear actually that can be prone to faster transient lock up if brakes jabbed in first momentary panic as it unloads and before ABS quickly intervenes. If it were a ceramic known as slippery in feel, I wouldn't mix those but then I just plain wouldn't--and haven't--gone near them. But, like the politics snd religion subjects, usually others who are fans so I'll just leave it that some of the ones more tagged with that haven't come up here.

Audi compounds have been unclear themselves for last several years if not a lot longer. Supposedly, a lot got switched circa 2013 to lower dust--including some Brembo sort of designs such like the 4 piston ones on Q5 3.0T and TDI...and probably a bunch of other similar motor set up vehicles like A5 and A6. That likely meant ceramic given the Audi benefits positioning, but then the dust aspect seemed to have been a false hope given owner continuing complaints about same. From D3, I can tell you that what was supposedly a straight organic OE/dealer pad sure looked semimettalic to me, visible bits of metal and all. I used to like semimetallic when I had old Audis with marginal brakes, but yet more dust and not exactly the ticket for longer rotor life.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-23-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Try this Audi OEM AudiWorld sponsor. Their prices are usually the lowest for Audi OEM and he runs specials for AW members from time to time (ask for Jeremy):

Audi Parts | audionlineparts.com
Old 03-24-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Considering deposits on the rotors are more than likely the root cause It would be interesting if you did something like this -

Removal of Uneven Pad Deposits with Aggressive Friction
by Matt Weiss of StopTech

Uneven pad deposits can often be effectively removed from rotors by using a pad compound that is more abrasive at lower temperatures. StopTech has found the Hawk 9012 (Hawk Blue) compound to be particularly effective in removing uneven pad deposits from rotors. Other higher temperature performance pads may also effectively “scrub” off uneven pad deposits, however we have found the Hawk 9012 to be the best for this application.
WARNING- Only keep abrasive pads in place long enough to remove the uneven deposits. Leaving pads that are abrasive at low temperatures in service on the street longer than necessary will dramatically wear rotors.

Before installing the replacement pads, characterize the vibration issues you are trying to cure. Drive the vehicle in a safe area at different speeds using different pedal efforts to get a good feel for where the vibration is most noticeable. Make notes if necessary to track progress of vibration abatement.
After characterizing the vibration, replace the pads with the Hawk 9012 or a suitable alternate pad. The key to effectively using the pads in their abrasive mode is to brake aggressively enough to remove the uneven deposits, but not allow the brake system to get hot enough to have the Hawk 9012 pads start transferring material to the rotor. A series of 3 consecutive decelerations from 60 to 30 mph is a good guideline. The decelerations should be very aggressive (80-90% of the effort needed to engage ABS or lock the tires) with no cool down between the 3 decelerations. After 3 decelerations in a row, allow the system to cool by driving passively and avoiding hard use of the brakes for several minutes. Repeat approximately 10 cycles of 3 each decelerations.
After 10 cycles of 3 decelerations, repeat the original sequence of braking maneuvers that produced the most noticeable vibrations. If vibrations are still present, continue with more cycles of decelerations as described above and re-check the status of the system.

Once the vibrations have been effectively reduced or eliminated, remove the alternate pads from service as soon as possible. DO NOT RUN THE ALTERNATE PADS LONGER THAN NECESSARY AS EXCESSIVE ROTOR WEAR WILL OCCUR. Keep the pads in service long enough to do the job, but monitor rotor wear if more than 30-40 cycles of 3 decelerations are performed.
After removal of the alternate pads, immediately clean any brake dust and debris from the vehicle as a high metallic content of some high performance pads may cause damage to wheel and body finishes if allowed to remain in place, especially if they get wet.

The rotors will have a “bare metal” appearance after using the alternate pads, meaning no pad material is adhered to the rotor face. Replace the pads with the parts you intend to run and re-bed the system as if the rotors were brand new.

The above procedure has about a 75% success rate in effectively removing uneven pad deposits. In some cases, primarily if the rotors were severely over-heated (continued track use) with a vibration present, hard spots on the rotor may cause a return of the vibration as the rotor begins to wear. The only effective way to save a rotor with hard spots is Blanchard grinding. StopTech does not offer this service, and it may be less expensive to replace the rotor if hard spots are present.

The best way to avoid uneven pad deposits is proper selection and bed-in of pads. The most common cause of uneven pad deposits and associated vibration is use of street performance pads on the track.
Uneven Pad Deposit Removal
Old 06-02-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my brakes done on my 2012 A7. EBC Red stuff and slotted rotors all 4 wheels $386 to the door, installation and replacement wear sensors $356 (not at Audi they wanted $500 to install my parts on rear alone or $1100 if they supplied pads and rotors for just the rear)
Old 06-02-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

A7 has different rotors, 356mm, vs the A8/S8 400mm rotors. And that is just the front. Didn't look up the rears. Different parts equals different price.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try Adams Rotors to buy the four rotors
Old 10-11-2017, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know a lot of A8 drivers aren't particularly into getting the spanners out but this is a pretty easy job if you want to do it yourself. Basically take the wheel off, unbolt the caliper and lift it out of the way, it's normally 1 stud that holds on the brake disc (rotor for you yanks), put the new disk on, put new pads in the caliper, put the caliper back on and put the wheel back on.