A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are all of the buyers?

Old 05-27-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, add me to the list of buyers! 3 weeks in now on a '16 3.0. I'm in Canada so SWB is still available - which suits me fine. I bought the GM's car with 12,000 km (7,500 miles) and CPO to boot. Traded in my '11 Jag XJ. Now I'll admit to loving the body style of the XJ more than the A8, but once inside, well, there is no comparison. I was all set to order the new F-Pace (everyone I know said "An SUV - You??? We don't see it.") but the sales guy (from whom I had bought 2 XJ's) didn't seem inclined to take my money and the folks at the Audi store made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I had an A6 back in the early '00's which I loved so after a series of BMW's, M-B's and Jags it was time to get back to Audi. So far my comments are:

1. I have the standard 19" wheels - boring. Might have to find something else - these are incredibly boring
2. Phone calls are an issue - the folks at the other end hear what sounds like remarkable wind noise, even with the windows shut and sitting still! After some experimenting I found that if I turn the fan off, the sounds is perfect. Fan back on - windy! So either the fan is blowing directly on the microphone (where is it anyhow?) or there's an electrical issue interfering with the mic. I'm booked for a service visit in a week and a half, so hope to get it resolved.
3. Tapping the + button while using cruise control adds 10kph rather than the 1 or 2 it is supposed to add. Unless there is something user-programmable I suppose I'll get that checked at service.

Forgive the long diatribe of an intro. Glad to be a Audi guy again and so far a happy Audi guy (above-mentioned issues aside)

Ken
Old 05-27-2016, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiff
Well, add me to the list of buyers! 3 weeks in now on a '16 3.0. I'm in Canada so SWB is still available - which suits me fine. I bought the GM's car with 12,000 km (7,500 miles) and CPO to boot. Traded in my '11 Jag XJ. Now I'll admit to loving the body style of the XJ more than the A8, but once inside, well, there is no comparison. I was all set to order the new F-Pace (everyone I know said "An SUV - You??? We don't see it.") but the sales guy (from whom I had bought 2 XJ's) didn't seem inclined to take my money and the folks at the Audi store made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I had an A6 back in the early '00's which I loved so after a series of BMW's, M-B's and Jags it was time to get back to Audi. So far my comments are:

1. I have the standard 19" wheels - boring. Might have to find something else - these are incredibly boring
2. Phone calls are an issue - the folks at the other end hear what sounds like remarkable wind noise, even with the windows shut and sitting still! After some experimenting I found that if I turn the fan off, the sounds is perfect. Fan back on - windy! So either the fan is blowing directly on the microphone (where is it anyhow?) or there's an electrical issue interfering with the mic. I'm booked for a service visit in a week and a half, so hope to get it resolved.
3. Tapping the + button while using cruise control adds 10kph rather than the 1 or 2 it is supposed to add. Unless there is something user-programmable I suppose I'll get that checked at service.

Forgive the long diatribe of an intro. Glad to be a Audi guy again and so far a happy Audi guy (above-mentioned issues aside)

Ken
Welcome! I would bet your wind noise on the bluetooth is from the vents being aimed at the microphone, make sure they are pointed straight out or down, otherwise it can make quite a racket. In US spec cars, the cruise increases/decreases in 2.5mph increments. You can hit the button on the end of the stalk at any time during it's acceleration and it will stop there.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Jack. I'm away from the car for a week but will try to redirect the vents. I can't imagine they would create that much noise though. I booked a service appt to get both issues checked out when I get back to town. Where is the mic btw? Thanks,

Ken
Old 05-29-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Stiff
Thanks Jack. I'm away from the car for a week but will try to redirect the vents. I can't imagine they would create that much noise though. I booked a service appt to get both issues checked out when I get back to town. Where is the mic btw? Thanks,

Ken
There are two mikes by the homelink and sunroof controls. And yes, they do make that much noise. I had complaints from callers more than once if I forgot to redirect them. I have the same issue in the Dodge.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car just docked today in Davisville. not sure how long will be there being holiday weekend. my guess is that obviously the car got unloaded from boat today but probaby not being serviced at the VPC till tuesday so hopefully released to carrier wednesday.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
There are two mikes by the homelink and sunroof controls. And yes, they do make that much noise. I had complaints from callers more than once if I forgot to redirect them. I have the same issue in the Dodge.
The A8 is in service today. The SA called me to say that the issue is, in fact, caused by the airflow being directed up, and blowing across the mic. Only cure apparently is to re-direct the airflow down. Seems to be a serious design flaw or a particularly lousy mic design. You'd think by this point Audi would have developed a mic that did not become unusable due to vent airflow.

Speaking of unusable, the SA also advised me that tapping + on the adaptive cruise stalk increases the speed by 10 KPH (6 MPH) at speeds above 80 KPH, or 5KPH at speeds below 80. Very odd, and renders the cruise marginally unusable. I checked the Q3 loaner they gave me, and tapping + only increased the speed by 1 KPH. I shared that with the SA who said the A8 is different and could not be adjusted. I'd be grateful if one of you could check what increase you get using ACC, as I'm doubtful I'm getting a valid answer.

Yes, I know, small complaints, but at this class of car I expect better. Thanks,

Ken
Old 06-08-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I feel like you are hyper focusing on these issues. As I said, you can push the lever to increase speed or accelerate with the gas pedal and hit the set button when it reaches precisely the speed you want. A minor inconvenience, but I don't often change my cruise speed once I've set it. If it bothers you beyond reason, increments may be adjustable via VCDS, but I'm not sure, and I know a dealer would be highly unlikely to fiddle around with it to try.

As far as the mic issue goes, no microphone in any car will stand up to blowing air directly on it, be it a Honda or a Bentley. The location was chosen with the idea that being centrally located means the front passenger can be heard as well as the driver, and being on the ceiling separates as much as possible from other ambient noise sources or vibrations. The solution to the problem couldn't be simpler. It's only an inconvenience if you are in the habit of pointing your vents straight up, and even then, quite a minor one.

If that's the scope of your complaints, you should be over the moon with your car, but the way you talk about it gives the impression you look at the car as if it has egregious faults that completely spoil it. If you want a car tailored to you perfectly, you will need to see a coachbuilder. A few still exist, taking factory cars and making huge changes to suit their often oil enriched clientele.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
...As I said, you can push the lever to increase speed or accelerate with the gas pedal and hit the set button when it reaches precisely the speed you want. A minor inconvenience, but I don't often change my cruise speed once I've set it. If it bothers you beyond reason, increments may be adjustable via VCDS, but I'm not sure, and I know a dealer would be highly unlikely to fiddle around with it to try. ...
+1. Not even sure if adjustment works as earlier poster said. I thought it was 2.5mph steps all the way up. Can check. But meantime as you say, you can lock it exactly as you want on a one time basis. Thus for me, I know with the 275/40-20's I run now the speedo is essentially dead on at US freeway speeds. It was a mile or two optimistic with the 275/35-21's; delta explained by very slight diameter increase. That part is worth checking if using cruise to also lock in a higher than posted speed. Easy w/ a GPS app and then you know once and for all.

Knowing whatever the speedo accuracy is for a given car, I make conscious decision of how fast I want to run sometimes. In CA, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion by (true) 11 over you are looking to get pulled over if radared, lidared or paced. Except in really rural areas, its mostly 65. At 5 over not going to happen virtually ever unless a cop was just looking for an excuse to stop anyway. Thus, I'll run 7 or 8 over and feel I can just mind my own business. So, I may dial it in to push just to where I'm comfortable but not go to full Bogey scan mode that requires more vigilance and is less relaxing. Faster than that true 72 or so and the 2.5 type steps are fine. Then it's a different driving style for LEO's--besides the general speed.

Don't think you can adjust the step interval w/ VCDS. You can make the default following distance setting adjustable via the menus like it was on D3's. I have done so. Thus I usually start w/ the two bar setting as default instead of the greater one used by Audi--which isn't realistic for traffic in built up areas.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-08-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

On my 2015 S8 the ACC definitely moves in 2.5 increments with each press of the stalk. I in fact like it that way because I'm usually trying to increase by 5 mph so I don't need to hit the stalk as often.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone notice inventory of A8s, both new and CPO, is almost non existent? I understand low stock on new items as the current model is nearing EOL, but in searching my local dealers and using apps like CarGurus shows very little inventory of used ones as well. When I bought 2 months ago I would say there was more than double of A8s to look at. Perhaps is just a regional thing, but by me it would be very difficult to become a new owner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where are all of the buyers?