A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the A8/S8 depreciate so much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Far less. Overseas you can get carbon ceramic brakes on the S8 but they are still cheaper than $10k.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kelisko
$10K for a brake job, WOW!
Is the S8 maintenance less expensive?
Oh yeah by far. $2k for a brake job, oil changes seems to be a bit less as well.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Far less. Overseas you can get carbon ceramic brakes on the S8 but they are still cheaper than $10k.
Originally Posted by triniexr
Oh yeah by far. $2k for a brake job, oil changes seems to be a bit less as well.
Interesting!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
$10K for a brake job, WOW!
Is the S8 maintenance less expensive?

$10k but he said it was in Canadian dollars. That sounds about right. I replaced my front brakes and it was about $3500, and then had to do the rears not long after and those were about $2500 or so. I'm not looking at the bills so I could be off a bit, but that's my memory of it.

I got a good extended warranty for the S63.

I still have my S6 as my primary daily driver. The S63 is for long roads trips, or when I am taking friends to dinner, etc... It's really nice having that big back seat and trunk.

I love the S8, but it doesn't fit the bill if you want a long wheelbase back seat and a big trunk. It has neither.

Also, having driven both cars, the Mercedes is a much heavier and more planted/stable ride on the highway. The S8 is definitely the more agile and nimble car.... but for pure smoothness on a straight road, the S63 wins in my book.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Question of whether the brakes in question are CCB's can wildly change the cost, especially if rotors get changed--usually only way up there in miles though. May have been there on the underlying S63 I guess when it was referenced. Guys from Europe on D3 board with CCB's say both pad and then of course rotors are extremely pricy. Of course now also available as an option on the US S8 Plus. But real world, costly to maintain and street noisier. Also saw some data that says in D4 implemention they really don't pull out the unsprung weight they often would; has to with the lighter quasi floating rotors with alloy center hat Audi now uses in front with the D4 in various flavors.

Per earlier comments about really planted/solid road feel and LWB, don't overlook W12 either. About zero representation on this board, but over time on D3 board as they trickled down to enthusiasts interest picked up. In D4 it seems sort of forgotten--both with way high new price and with relative performance that has fallen off the mark post V8 turbo availability. But, for right now, no apologies instant torque way sub 2000 RPM (more like 11-1500) in an Autobahnen luxury stealth runner, a nice ride. In absolute terms, still a fast ride in mid 4's and even a base car is way fully loaded compared to 95-99% of smaller motor A8's out there. And since they are sucking wind no doubt the worst of any D4 like always depreciation rise, they may get into zone of affordability for more pretty soon. Few and far between though. Way, way rarer than S8's now or any of the Merc's besides their own V12 maybe. Below volume of many exotics, but Audi quality and parts pricing same as any other A8 from 10 years and 100K miles of D3 experience. I considered for D4, but only wanted post face lift and five seater. Post facelift ameliorates the sub par trunk issue a bit--not fully but still noticeable. Intersection of those two criteria though either CPO or used with 5 seater was zero so far. A few years older, it was, and/or maybe if Balbao Brown interior was your cup of tea.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-27-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Question of whether the brakes in question are CCB's can wildly change the cost, especially if rotors get changed--usually only way up there in miles though. May have been there on the underlying S63 I guess when it was referenced. Guys from Europe on D3 board with CCB's say both pad and then of course rotors are extremely pricy. Of course now also available as an option on the US S8 Plus. But real world, costly to maintain and street noisier. Also saw some data that says in D4 implemention they really don't pull out the unsprung weight they often would; has to with the lighter quasi floating rotors with alloy center hat Audi now uses in front with the D4 in various flavors.

Per earlier comments about really planted/solid road feel and LWB, don't overlook W12 either. About zero representation on this board, but over time on D3 board as they trickled down to enthusiasts interest picked up. In D4 it seems sort of forgotten--both with way high new price and with relative performance that has fallen off the mark post V8 turbo availability. But, for right now, no apologies instant torque way sub 2000 RPM (more like 11-1500) in an Autobahnen luxury stealth runner, a nice ride. In absolute terms, still a fast ride in mid 4's and even a base car is way fully loaded compared to 95-99% of smaller motor A8's out there. And since they are sucking wind no doubt the worst of any D4 like always depreciation rise, they may get into zone of affordability for more pretty soon. Few and far between though. Way, way rarer than S8's now or any of the Merc's besides their own V12 maybe. Below volume of many exotics, but Audi quality and parts pricing same as any other A8 from 10 years and 100K miles of D3 experience. I considered for D4, but only wanted post face lift and five seater. Post facelift ameliorates the sub par trunk issue a bit--not fully but still noticeable. Intersection of those two criteria though either CPO or used with 5 seater was zero so far. A few years older, it was, and/or maybe if Balbao Brown interior was your cup of tea.
I have 8k miles on my S8 Plus already.
So far bulletproof and CCBs are silent, no noises of any kind, never overheat (even with my heavy foot and hard braking from 140-150mph to full stop).
People complain about squeaks on CCBs because they never bothered to properly bed them. If they did when they got the car, they would not have any problems, instead they "created" glazing on the rotor surface that makes the annoying noises.