A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the A8/S8 depreciate so much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Most "rich" people try to be as frugal as possible with their money. When shopping for my CPO A8 I noticed almost every car I looked at was a lease return. A person who for example is an attorney and owns his own small business can lease the car and write off the expense on taxes. That is a simplified answer but leases make up a large portion of the "sales" on these types of cars when new. I'll never purchase a new A8 because I don't consider it financially viable. As far as that goes buying my CPO A8 wasn't the most fiscally responsible decision but my joy of ownership outweighed my need to keep the cash. Also I'm lucky enough to live somewhere that the cost of living is pretty low. I don't have a huge mortgage payment and the A8 loan is the only loan I have other than my mortgage.

Info:
How to Write Off Vehicle Payments as a Business Expense | Chron.com
This is very wise. Interestingly, some high end cars aren't as well taken care of because their owner's only plan on owning it short term.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Most "rich" people try to be as frugal as possible with their money. When shopping for my CPO A8 I noticed almost every car I looked at was a lease return. A person who for example is an attorney and owns his own small business can lease the car and write off the expense on taxes. That is a simplified answer but leases make up a large portion of the "sales" on these types of cars when new.
Makes sense!
Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The joy of ownership goes a long way with me. In "my mind" they don't depreciate at all. ..lol
Cars are the single worst investment or I should say return on use of money. The gift that keeps on taking! The only way to come out nicely is drive occasionally, all original and keep on blocks for 30-50 years. I couldn't imagine all the profit if have now with all the mainly 60's cars I've had in the 70's& 80's. It would be in the millions though. The oldest was a 1940, newest 1982. For a total of around 35. All very nice original and sometimes unique cars even in those years.
Right now, no blocks for the A8. I run the wheels off it and come up with places to enjoy driving it. I don't worry about depreciation on it at all!
And yes.. I never buy new. Except once. I always look for good deals and keep them looking new as possible. The last motor I sold that qualified for historical plates was a '87 GoldWing. It looked like it just came off showroom floor, always asked if it was new and made $1000 over what I paid two years earlier.
I purchased a very nice BMW 740IL in 2009 for $7k. Recently sold for $5500. Not bad for the enjoyment I got out of it.
The only cars That are left outside are lease vehicles.they're also the only cars I'll take through a automatic car wash

Last edited by Garycw; 09-21-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Garycw
The joy of ownership goes a long way with me. In "my mind" they don't depreciate at all. ..lol
Cars are the single worst investment or I should say return on use of money. The gift that keeps on taking! The only way to come out nicely is drive occasionally, all original and keep on blocks for 30-50 years. I couldn't imagine all the profit if have now with all the mainly 60's cars I've had in the 70's& 80's. It would be in the millions though. The oldest was a 1940, newest 1982. For a total of around 35. All very nice original and sometimes unique cars even in those years.
Right now, no blocks for the A8. I run the wheels off it and come up with places to enjoy driving it. I don't worry about depreciation on it at all!
And yes.. I never buy new. Except once. I always look for good deals and keep them looking new as possible. The last motor I sold that qualified for historical plates was a '87 GoldWing. It looked like it just came off showroom floor, always asked if it was new and made $1000 over what I paid two years earlier.
I purchased a very nice BMW 740IL in 2009 for $7k. Recently sold for $5500. Not bad for the enjoyment I got out of it.
The only cars That are left outside are lease vehicles.they're also the only cars I'll take through a automatic car wash
You think cars stink as an investment?! Buy a boat! You can hear the sucking sound of $$$$ flying out of your bank account!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lol... Yea very true. Same theory applies though
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

That is a beautiful boat.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Surely is! And that one has probably got one great ROI!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
That's at a friends sumner home in N. Carolina. Was purchased at Lake Tahoe.Then shipped. She loves it, although she was in bad rv accident leaving Indy watching a corporate sponsored dragster a few weeks ago

Last edited by Garycw; 09-26-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Their loss was my gain.
Nice addition to my driveway of German awesomeness.

Already made a bunch of cosmetic mods including black grill, black hood vents, black emblems, black window trim wrap and white wrap on the door and trunk chrome strips, and hood star delete.

Radar, laser jamming and car stereo to begin in October.
I had a 2011 S63. I liked it but the repairs on that beast are ridiculous. I had to pay almost $10K CAD for a brake job. No option for aftermarket because the car is so rare. The stereo also went on me, Sirus XM amp and the Bose amp, another $6K CAD for that. I couldn't just replace 1 unit because the system runs on a MOST.

The old beast

The new beast.

Last edited by triniexr; 09-27-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
I had a 2011 S63. I liked it but the repairs on that beast are ridiculous. I had to pay almost $10K CAD for a brake job. No option for aftermarket because the car is so rare. The stereo also went on me, Sirus XM amp and the Bose amp, another $6K CAD for that. I couldn't just replace 1 unit because the system runs on a MOST.

The old beast
IMAGE [S63]

The new beast.
IMAGE [S8]
$10K for a brake job, WOW!
Is the S8 maintenance less expensive?

Quick Reply: Why does the A8/S8 depreciate so much?