A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Chrysler shifter recall spread to the A8?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

New owner of a 2015 A8, and yes it happened to me a couple of times, R instead of P now I'm paying attention because it is really easy to do it....and BTW I'm driving Audi for almost 30 years, manual and auto, it is the first time.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main issue I have with the shifter is that it does not seem consistent in shifting to park. I have not discovered the special sauce to get it to select P everytime. After having the car start backing out into a busy road, I look now before lifting the brake to be sure it is in Park.

The placement is ideal for the wrist rest for accessing the MMI. The control placement fits me well.

I think with the small sales of this car, it is likely no real complaints have been filed. Thus the A8 is unlikely to get recalled. It is obvious that several of us have had similar challenge to what Chrysler is recalling the cars for, so Audi should consider a programming update.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by OhNoMrBill
The main issue I have with the shifter is that it does not seem consistent in shifting to park. I have not discovered the special sauce to get it to select P everytime. After having the car start backing out into a busy road, I look now before lifting the brake to be sure it is in Park.

The placement is ideal for the wrist rest for accessing the MMI. The control placement fits me well.

I think with the small sales of this car, it is likely no real complaints have been filed. Thus the A8 is unlikely to get recalled. It is obvious that several of us have had similar challenge to what Chrysler is recalling the cars for, so Audi should consider a programming update.
I find that a slightly forceful push up always gets it into park. Just do it as one smooth, quick motion. Don't try to count or feel the number of indents, just quickly push it up and it should go to P every time.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I find that a slightly forceful push up always gets it into park. Just do it as one smooth, quick motion. Don't try to count or feel the number of indents, just quickly push it up and it should go to P every time.
Agreed, I have never had even a bit of problem. Forward for park and back for drive. Can't imagine someone could muck it up at all.

The selector comes up on the dash too. So easy a caveman could do it!
Old 06-20-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread reminded me of the poor actor Anton Yelchin who just died this weekend through the suspected Jeep transmission recall. I had a Q7 as a loaner for 2 weeks and I found the shifter horrible, way worse than the A8. My wife had previously declared the Q7 was off her shortlist after thinking the car was in P when it was actually in gear. If his death ended up being due to the Jeep recall I suspect Audi will be forced to make changes...
Old 06-20-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
This thread reminded me of the poor actor Anton Yelchin who just died this weekend through the suspected Jeep transmission recall. I had a Q7 as a loaner for 2 weeks and I found the shifter horrible, way worse than the A8. My wife had previously declared the Q7 was off her shortlist after thinking the car was in P when it was actually in gear. If his death ended up being due to the Jeep recall I suspect Audi will be forced to make changes...
The Q7 automatically engages P when the car is shut off and if the car is still running, the parking brake will engage once the door is open.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
The Q7 automatically engages P when the car is shut off and if the car is still running, the parking brake will engage once the door is open.
Maybe it doesn't engage quick enough because I did open the door and it did lurch forward before I quickly stomped on the brake.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by theanimala
Maybe it doesn't engage quick enough because I did open the door and it did lurch forward before I quickly stomped on the brake.
Test it, and see how it behaves. I can see why it might take a moment to catch, it's not exactly spring loaded. I know mine caught pretty quick when I checked it.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tested mine today to see how it behaves. It seems that if you are shift from park to reverse or drive then open the door, the brake will turn on. However, once you turn off the parking brake, it will not come on again. I also did not see a clear pattern of when the brake would or would not come on as once the car was running and you tried to get out and back in, the logic seemed to be over ridden.

Also, if you shift to neutral, and open the door, the brake does not deploy. I just get a warning message.

I still have not found a common method of a flick, forceful forward, or forward and hold that 100% moves the transmission from Drive to Park. The transmission sometimes is going to select reverse no matter what. I double check every time I park to be sure.

I think it would not hurt for Audi to review the operation and consider updating the software for increased safety.

Bill
Old 06-22-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OhNoMrBill
I think it would not hurt for Audi to review the operation and consider updating the software for increased safety.

Bill
I agree.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will Chrysler shifter recall spread to the A8?