A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires are on the delivery truck...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tires are on the delivery truck...

I don't know why I am so excited, but I am.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do... you can't wait to play in the snow
Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah and have the best driving car on the road!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Snow shoes mounted and balanced! Kudos to Discount Tire. First time I used them. They found a screw puncture in my old Pirellis and repaired it for next season, no charge. Bought the Dunlops on eBay for $400 with 90% tread left. Noice!
Old 11-22-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With quattro and all seasons are pretty good but having dedicated snows makes all the difference in the world. You'll love them. The only caveat is that it will go through too much. My A8 can be raised up but my S4 sits pretty low and if you have some big chunky snow you run the risk of cracking some underbody panels.
Have a good winter!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kczach
With quattro and all seasons are pretty good but having dedicated snows makes all the difference in the world. You'll love them. The only caveat is that it will go through too much. My A8 can be raised up but my S4 sits pretty low and if you have some big chunky snow you run the risk of cracking some underbody panels.
Have a good winter!
Yeah, I'm aware of the risks of running at a lower height. When I raise it, I am surprised how high up she rides. It's like an SUV or a quattro wagon!

I think the old adage is to look at winter tires as a stopping aid as opposed to an acceleration aid.

This should be a most fascinating winter driving season!
Old 11-22-2014, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

One other thing, at Discount Tire they have an observation "bar" that is parallel to the bays with stools so you can watch the gentlemen work. Well, it was about 5:30 and dark when they pulled my A8 in -- the LED headlamps caught a lot of attention. It looked like a starship coming into port. A couple of folks asked me about the A8. I love when that happens, because it really shouldn't because it's just a sedan and not a supercar. But still, it happens more often than not.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by needles
It looked like a starship coming into port.
I get so many looks on the road and in parking lots.

Also say to myself "Engage docking clamps" when pulling into the garage, and "close pod bay doors" when the sunroof make the FAAAAwhoo sound as it closes on the highway.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

BTW, which winter tire did you get and what rims are you using??? I used the Dunlop Wintersport 3D last year and they are downright horrible in the snow compared to the best all season tires I have on variety of cars. The Blizzaks and XIice3 do a lot better in moderate to deep snow plus ice.

I am mounting on my 19 inch Forgestar F14 rims with Michelin Xice XI3 on Friday. Pics to follow.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
BTW, which winter tire did you get and what rims are you using??? I used the Dunlop Wintersport 3D last year and they are downright horrible in the snow compared to the best all season tires I have on variety of cars. The Blizzaks and XIice3 do a lot better in moderate to deep snow plus ice.

I am mounting on my 19 inch Forgestar F14 rims with Michelin Xice XI3 on Friday. Pics to follow.
I am getting my snow tires delivered this Friday. I ordered 4 Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme 255/45R19 104V.
My first choice was the Nokian Haakapalitta 8 but the seller was out of the non studded ones in the size I needed and could not order anymore. It was really hard to find snow tires in this size with the XL rating.

Quick Reply: Winter tires are on the delivery truck...