radiator fans inop!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 PM
One
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radiator fans inop!

94 audi 100 v6 automatic
Ok guys, the fans just suddenly quit working even with the a/c on.. The temp gauge has not worked in years but i never had an indication of it running hot even in 100 degree heat here in MFing Alabama. I found 1 sensor on the bottom of the radiator that i think is the cooling fan switch with 3 wires to it. I do not know if this is the problem or what...Is there a way to test this? jumping one of the leads to ground to run the fans? i think the same sensor runs the temp gauge? Please give me insight and a way to make the fans run on high till i can fix this. In the controlled environment of my lab/garage i ran the engine while i was checking it out till a bit of steam started coming out of the expansion tank, then notice the temperature dummy light on, so i guess there is another sensor that provides a reading to the ecu? where is it out of curiosity (V6)
Old 05-30-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bad ignition switch (very very common) can cause radiator fans to suddenly fail. Check the QW FAQ: http://forums.quattroworld.com/a6100/msgs/3.phtml
Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 AM
One
AudiWorld Member

I do have the ignition switch problem, but i dont think its the cause of my radiator fans not working...

Today i used the guide http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...oling.html#fan
To test the cooling fan switch and got no life sign form the fans on 2nd and 3rd speed that u can test that way, but heard the 3rd speed relay clicking when i jumped from terminal 1 to terminal 3 on the cooling fan switch (bottom right of radiator) connector. I thought that that ment i had other problems and checked the wires to the fans; i bumped the fan and it turned a bit, i wiggled the wire and it came on! Same story on the other fan...Now i guess i will find replacement fans. I took the Fans out and bench tested them. One of them i got it working well by messing with the wire right where it enters the motor, the other not so well... both fans sound a little sick. At this point i am just a bit perplexed that both fans would develope bad connections at the motor. no sign of burnt wires at this point so it seems this is a recent develpement.
If you trace the wires to their source, they have a common ground with the abs system and positive on the resitor pack visible from the bottom side just below the ground fyi.
So now on to finding replacement fans.. btw it was really hard to find anY good info on testing the fans/fan switch, the link above is pretty much it!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:36 PM
One
AudiWorld Member

Shopping for new cooling fans now, Autohausaz doesnt have em (listed), SJM has em for $64 others around the same price. partsgeek doesnt list an Audi 100 so i clicked a6 and it looks the same for $54. I found a '92 audi 100 in a pull-a-part inventory around here i could get for cheaper but im not 100% that they are the same...suggestions/wisdom?