Audi A6 2.6 V6 Auto Trans 95' - Oil Leak, Urgent! :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 2.6 V6 Auto Trans 95' - Oil Leak, Urgent! :-(

Hi all,

I just recently bought a 95' Audi A6. It runs like a dream.
But today it started smelling of burnt oil. :-(

On the image i have attached, i have marked the areas with red, where there are alot of oil leaking - I can't see where the oil comes from, only that its on the top of those areas i have marked.

There is a little on the left side and most on the right side, just above the oil filter.

This is an image of the AAH engine, but my engine is ABC. Not sure if there is a difference - But it looks the same at the area where the oil leak is.

I checked oil level and its near minimum, although i'm not sure what level it was, when i bought the vehicle.

The thing i would like to know, is it a seal, engine sump or something "minor" or should the vehicle just be dumped?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

The oil leak on the right hand side could be coming from the oil pump housing. And the same for the left side. Take a good look with a flashlight.

I have had very good results with Audi oil leaks by removing the timing covers and crank pulley. Leave the timing belt in place. Then I tighten the 10mm head oil pump bolts that are available on the periphery of the pump body..very often they are loose. Sometimes they feel tight..and with a bit of wrist effort they are clearly loose. I use a 10mm 1/4 inch drive with flex to check and tighten the bolts. There is a torque number. 10NM..but loosen them and re-tighten.

Could be the upper oil pan..or lower oil pan..But check the oil pump first. That upper oil pan gasket requires some time to replace.

The oil leak on the left hand side could be your "O" ring between the oil cooler and the oil pan. Look carefully there too. It could be (and very likley) the oil pressure switch(s) that live behind the oil cooler..they do leak from time to time.

The image above shows the oil cooler and oil pressure switch locations.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Rusty.

Could it be that the 2.6 does not have the hose thats pointed at with a black arrow? Just above the oil filter. See image from my car:

Old 12-19-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks like your engine did not have the oil cooler..so nix the oil cooler "O" ring.

That picture shows a lot of oil..I would pull that white boot off the oil pressure switch and see if it is full of oil..but even if it is leaking..the leak looks very big. It could be the accumulation of a few years of driving with the oil pressure switch leaking..

Once you check the oil pressure switch..replace it if it is leaking..get the engine cleaned up..with care around the belts and electrical connections..and once cleaned up do a search for the oil leaks. It will be near impossible to locate the leaks with all that grime.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Rusty.

I talked to some guys earlier, they mentioned it could be rocker cover gaskets and breather hoses.

Some of it might be old oil, yes - But in 24 hours it have thrown over half of the engine oil. When i checked today, there were only 1-3 mm. oil on the dip stick, way below min.

Try to see the following images.

Just above the oil leak area.

Below the valve gasket. i think.

above the oil leak area.

above the oil leak area.

Oil leak, this happened in under 20 hours.

above the oil leak area.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would pull the front covers and take a look..Looks to me like cam seals behind the sprockets are leaking badly..and valve cover gaskets too.

Could be your breather hoses (which are on the back of the valve covers) could be plugged up with muck..and the screen inside the valve covers too. That will push oil out at a remarkable rate.

You will need to remove the timing belt so start shopping for the timing bar and tool to reset the cam timing.

Once all the covers and misc stuff is off you should see where the leaks are coming from.

The tool is available from Amazon:
Amazon.com : VW & Audi Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool V6 2 Valve & Pin : Other Products : Everything Else Amazon.com : VW & Audi Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool V6 2 Valve & Pin : Other Products : Everything Else
Old 12-23-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The real common leak points on these are. The oil pump housing, they even had problems with poor castings causing leakage. Headgaskets leak oil, and the valley pan gasket leaks oil. Of course cam seals and valve covers are leakers but I assume you have taken care of those.