Bentley manual- valve lifter section

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifters

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
Changing the lifters would require the timing belt tool and a few hours work..do change the timing belt/water pump if you go that direction..but do an oil service first.

Have you ever used marvel mystery oil in the gas to keep the top half of the engine clean and lubricated?

Is there anything in particular that goes wrong with this car that I should know about, I got a great deal on it and I would like to drive it for a long time.

Thanks for the info Rusty, I really appreciate it as a new owner. The only problem is now it might be difficult to drive American cars.....
Old 08-05-2016, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I use MMO routinely in my cars..4oz per 10 gallons.

Do get a Bentley for the car..shop online and then registrar the CD you get. The CD is old school and works with Windows XP

Once you registrar the CD with Bentley..you can get the same information web based online anywhere from the Bentley "cloud"

As your car some low miles..I would be sure the coolant has been changed..if the coolant bottle is rusty..then plan on draining and cleaning the block..and maybe a radiator. Be sure and bleed the system up at the firewall by the book.

If the CV joint boots are in good shape..the transmission shifts well and no check engine lights are on..drive and enjoy..

There are some good A6-C4 FAQs over at QW forum..see the link:quattroworld.com Forums: The C4 100/A6 FAQ Thread...
Old 08-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use MMO routinely in my cars..4oz per 10 gallons.

Do get a Bentley for the car..shop online and then registrar the CD you get. The CD is old school and works with Windows XP

Once you registrar the CD with Bentley..you can get the same information web based online anywhere from the Bentley "cloud"

As your car some low miles..I would be sure the coolant has been changed..if the coolant bottle is rusty..then plan on draining and cleaning the block..and maybe a radiator. Be sure and bleed the system up at the firewall by the book.

If the CV joint boots are in good shape..the transmission shifts well and no check engine lights are on..drive and enjoy..

There are some good A6-C4 FAQs over at QW forum..see the link:quattroworld.com Forums: The C4 100/A6 FAQ Thread...

Thank you Rusty, now I can fix my cruise control !

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2903085/page2/
Old 08-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Prior to doing/replacing the lifters do change the oil. I like Delo 15w40..easy to find here in the lower 48.

Get a German oil filter..do the oil service and drive the car for a hour or two.

That usually works getting the lifters to quite down.
So I learned at Napa in anchorage on Dowling that commercial grade filters have a pressure valve in them which is what VW and Audi use. If a generic filter is used it doesn't have that and the oil doesn't get to the lifters until the filter is full of oil. So with a horizontal filter it drains and that's why the pressure valve is needed. Viola improper filter use could mess up the top end!
Old 08-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Aksportsman- I listened to your audio post- and I can tell you my car sounded just like that. At the time, I was running a lighter weight oil, 10-30, I think, and a standard filter. After changing the lifters, (and all the other appropriate parts- t-belt, water pump, etc) I switched to the 15w-40 that Rusty suggested, and a Mann filter. Since then, my oil usage is WAY down, and I only get a slight noise/ticking when starting it up in the mornings. Much better.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bstone
Aksportsman- I listened to your audio post- and I can tell you my car sounded just like that. At the time, I was running a lighter weight oil, 10-30, I think, and a standard filter. After changing the lifters, (and all the other appropriate parts- t-belt, water pump, etc) I switched to the 15w-40 that Rusty suggested, and a Mann filter. Since then, my oil usage is WAY down, and I only get a slight noise/ticking when starting it up in the mornings. Much better.
I just changed to an OEM filter and 10w-30....bummer I guess I'll see how it goes. I live in anchorage Alaska though and the temperatures can dip into negative territory in the winter, wouldn't that viscosity be too low at that temp? But now looking at the chart the 15w-40 is the same for cold temps?!?! Thank god I'm not in Fairbanks anymore, it dipped to -62F there but I didn't own this car up there.

OEM oil chart
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in Denver. We get below 0, but not for long stretches and certainly not -62 I'm going to stay with the 15w-40 and see how it goes. If I have issues, I may drop back, but I'm not sure I gain alot by doing it. We will see.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Prior to doing/replacing the lifters do change the oil. I like Delo 15w40..easy to find here in the lower 48.

Get a German oil filter..do the oil service and drive the car for a hour or two.

That usually works getting the lifters to quite down.
Would 15w50 oil be just as good? Greater protection at higher temps ?
Old 09-07-2016, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

15w50 engine oils is not needed really.

The Delo is almost a 50w when tested and is robust enough for our 12v V6 engines..plenty of additives and detergents too.

Delo viscosity @ 100ēC, cSt is 15.9..a 50w oil would be 16.3, very close.

Over the road trucks go millions of miles with 15w40 HDEO style oils like Delo..good stuff.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

15w50 engine oils is not needed really.

The Delo is almost a 50w when tested and is robust enough for our 12v V6 engines..plenty of additives and detergents too.

Delo viscosity @ 100ēC, cSt is 15.9..a 50w oil would be 16.3, very close.

Over the road trucks go millions of miles with 15w40 HDEO style oils like Delo..good stuff.
I was looking at 15w 50 because I found mobil 1 for $23 for 5 quarts, wondering if it would make a difference, I would need to look around more for 15w 40

Quick Reply: Bentley manual- valve lifter section