few problems with my audi 100 1988 avant quattro wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few problems with my audi 100 1988 avant quattro wagon

I own a audi 1988 cs avant 2.2 when i leave my car for a while eg a few days often the battery will drain. Any ideas on how to stop this? The car when first starting it often really struggles to start? think about changing the fuel filter to see if this will fix it. Also have been trying to locate a plastic joint that connects to the door handle within the door. it screws on and activates the locks when the handle is used or if you use the key to lock the car. The front doors have two the rears only have one. the joint is made of plastics any ideas of where to find one or the part number. I do have another slight problem my car also leaks hydrollic fluid from the cilender or the pump would a hydrolic gasket set fix this?
any help would be much apprecated as otherwise i might have to sell the car for a more reliable family car.
cheers, Thomas
Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery drain could be anything. Any aftermarket stereo items installed in the car. Perhaps someone has wired something up that it stays live all the time instead on the accessory circuits.

Hard starting cold is probably a coolant temp sensor. It's located on top of the upper radiator hose flange on the head. Really easy to change out. The part can be had at most autoparts stores for $30-50..

If the hydraulic booster is leaking between it and the master cylinder, that would indicate a seal leak in the booster. BUT if the fluid coming out is brake fluid, it could just be the master cylinder. If the hydraulic booster is leaking, it may need to be rebuilt. Jay Stratton, who posts on another Audi Forum offers rebuild services for these at a really good price. Here's a link with his info. Hydraulic Brake Booster Servo - Ate Cast Iron, Repair-Rebuild Service - AudiForums.com

The door handle parts should still be available since they are really VW parts that were used on scads of models. Check the parts catalog at Online Audi vehicles spare parts catalogue, Audi VIN decoder, Part number search, *** Online and see if you can identify the parts you need so you'll be armed with part numbers to search for.