Climate control issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control issues

Hello All-

Now that it's cold out and I really need it to work right, I'm having issues with my climate control unit. The main issue is that the buttons work when they feel like it, and less likely to feel like it when it is cold. For example, I can't usually get the defrost button to work, the temp up and down works if I push really hard, and the center vent button on the right is difficult to get working, especially when cold. All of these things get better when the car warms up. I've read that sometimes the housing behind the face of the unit gets broken, which causes extra space between the buttons and the board behind it- thus the issue with pushing and nothing happening. I have yet to remove it, but just wondered if anyone has the same/similar issue, and what fixed it.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2016, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same problem on my daughter's A6 and indeed the housing was cracked.

I tried the foam weather stripping trick and it did not quite do the trick. Some JB Weld on the broken plastic tabs with a small dab on the PC board removed any flex and did repair the problem.

See the link: quattroworld.com Forums: Climate Control Buttons Don't Work
Old 12-17-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to look to replace the entire unit. (I know you have thought about that) :-)
But look on Amazon or eBay under Audi accessories and you may find what you need without a lot of fooling around and for a reasonable price.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Firefighter- yes, I have definitely thought about that, especially looking on eBay- but afraid I may just be inheriting the same problems. Looks to me like this is a common problem, and so I expect that some of the eBay units may have the same issue...but I am definitely leaving that as an option.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh- I forgot to ask about interchangeability- I have seen quite a few units posted on eBay that are listed as A4's, not A6's, but same years, and they look identical. Are they?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bstone
Oh- I forgot to ask about interchangeability- I have seen quite a few units posted on eBay that are listed as A4's, not A6's, but same years, and they look identical. Are they?
No..they look the same but will not work. You want part number 4A0820043K and the housing should be black. The white housing is an earlier production with the same part number..and can be more problematic..look for a black one.

White housing:

Black housing: