Rare 2/92 100 Radiator

Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rare 2/92 100 Radiator

Soo aparently anything with a manual trans before 4/92 has a 3rd water outlet going to the oil cooler. Mine is 2/92 and i absolutly cannot find a replacment. I have a new radiator for a 4/92 Im going to try and bypass or relocate the oil cooler. I was going to just T it into a nearby coolant hose and hope for the best. Does this sound like it might work? Anybody run into this?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well it Worked! heres for anybody else, I just re reouted it to the hose coming off the bottom of the coolant tank. I used a Y type fitting, so that the water coming out of the oil cooler would go with the flow back to the lower hose into the engine. Car runs fine, cools fine, and doesnt leak, so im happy.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's one hell of an issue with those early 92 100s. I had the same issue. Turns out Audi does sell the 3 port radiator but it was a special order from Germany. So instead, I ordered a retro-fit hose hit also from Audi for about $250. This hose had all the necessary hardware, proper bends and clamps to go nicely around the configuration of the engine compartment and connects to the oil cooler. So far also no problems! Let me know if you would like the part number if you wanted to go the factory route. I have pictures also of the finished install.

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Well it Worked! heres for anybody else, I just re reouted it to the hose coming off the bottom of the coolant tank. I used a Y type fitting, so that the water coming out of the oil cooler would go with the flow back to the lower hose into the engine. Car runs fine, cools fine, and doesnt leak, so im happy.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's one hell of an issue with those early 92 100s. I had the same issue. Turns out Audi does sell the 3 port radiator but it was a special order from Germany. So instead, I ordered a retro-fit hose hit also from Audi for about $250. This hose had all the necessary hardware, proper bends and clamps to go nicely around the configuration of the engine compartment and connects to the oil cooler. So far also no problems! Let me know if you would like the part number if you wanted to go the factory route. I have pictures also of the finished install.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

nice, i knew i wasnt the only one to come accross this. no i dont need any of the factory stuff, I have it routed just fine, its still working great.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to revive an old thread, but, would you happen to have any pictures, Or what parts are needed?

I am in the same situation here and need to find a way to use a later model radiator without the 3rd connector on the side tank.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just follow the hose from the bottom of the expansion tank, cut it, get hose fitting that looks like a Y. its 5/8 i believe. I had the line going to the tank and from the cooler on the same side, and the single out going to the lower hose. Hope that makes sense, once you get a Y and get in there is makes perfect sense. The car is long gone, I sold it to a friend who sold it.