Rattling sound when AC clutch is engaged

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling sound when AC clutch is engaged

As title mentions, everything else running fine other than the noise. I am guessing the ac clutch is going bad and not much else which can be done. I doesn't sound like a whining bearing but wondering if anyone had suggestions or input.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Take the serpentine belt off and see if the noises go away. If there is still a noise with the serp belt off..then it is something else. Check the clutch on the compressor with the belt off and see if it is loose or the bearing is notchey.

Another test is to turn the A/C off..and see if the noises go away.

If it goes away with the A/C turned off..could be the compressor (or the clutch)..if the noises remain with the A/C off it may be a compressor clutch rattling around.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
Take the serpentine belt off and see if the noises go away. If there is still a noise with the serp belt off..then it is something else. Check the clutch on the compressor with the belt off and see if it is loose or the bearing is notchey.

Another test is to turn the A/C off..and see if the noises go away.

If it goes away with the A/C turned off..could be the compressor (or the clutch)..if the noises remain with the A/C off it may be a compressor clutch rattling around.
It completely goes away when I turn AC off and sounds normal. I checked the center bolt which is tight, didn't remove belt to see it there is play but even if there is play what can be done? I don't see any kits for servicing the compressor.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with Rusty- given that the noise goes away with the AC off, and it is a "rattling" noise and not a squeal- like a bad bearing- I'm going to lean toward the compressor itself rather than a clutch. Either low freon or just flat out going bad. Does it produce cold air when it is on? As Rusty said, I would still pull the belt and spin the clutch by hand. It should turn freely without any catching or dragging. If there is any resistance, the bearing is probably going out.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bstone
I agree with Rusty- given that the noise goes away with the AC off, and it is a "rattling" noise and not a squeal- like a bad bearing- I'm going to lean toward the compressor itself rather than a clutch. Either low freon or just flat out going bad. Does it produce cold air when it is on? As Rusty said, I would still pull the belt and spin the clutch by hand. It should turn freely without any catching or dragging. If there is any resistance, the bearing is probably going out.
Fortunately it blows cold even on hot days, will pull the belt and check it out. Thanks.