1997 A6q keeps running with key removed

Old 09-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 A6q keeps running with key removed

I picked up a 97 A6q sedan recently and I am in the process of fixing all of its quirks. The biggest thing now is that the car won't shut off after I turn off and remove the key. I just installed a new ignition lock cylinder as the tab in the old one had broken off in the switch. Along with the lock cylinder I installed a new OEM switch. The only thing that shuts the car off at this point is removing fuse 14 and even then, the windows are still operational. I'm at a loss here as I've never seen anything act so wonky. The car is completely stock aside from an aftermarket pioneer 12 disc changer that appears to have been installed professionally and correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan
Old 09-16-2014, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Check terminal "15" on the ignition switch for 12v with key out

See page 17 on the wiring diagram for details.

http://12v.org/urs/1997_Audi_A6_Syst...g_Diagrams.pdf

Terminal "15" is the black wire and should power down with the key removed.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thought I'd post an update, haven't had time to look for voltage on pin 15. The car has been sitting for the last few months without a battery in it, but when I threw the battery back in today, it shut off fine after running for a while.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I noticed another quirky thing tonight... The wipers do not work, nor do the high beams. Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would recommend you replace the ignition swith as soon as you can.

You will be amazed at all the little things that go wonky with a bad ignition switch.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike Atkisson
I would recommend you replace the ignition swith as soon as you can.

You will be amazed at all the little things that go wonky with a bad ignition switch.
I would, but I can't justify the cost considering I replaced it in September with a new OEM Audi switch when I replaced the lock cylinder assembly.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Alright, went to dealer with ignition switch and convinced them to replace for free on chance of a defect. After getting the new one in, nothing changed. It appears, after some testing, that I may have a bad ground to the headlights. I'll post a follow up with more info later.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay I now have time to post more details. I figured out the turn signal problem, it seems the hazard light switch wasn't plugged in all the way since having my console apart. However the continued running of the engine without the key in the ignition is still an intermittent problem. As for the high beams and wipers, I believe there may be an issue with the shared ground on the lower left A pillar. With the high beam switch on, both headlights connected, and either (or both) fuse(s) in place, I don't have power going into fuse 1 or 2, however with the fuses removed I have power on the leading side of both fuse slots. Also, with both headlights disconnected, there is power on both sides of each of the high beam fuses. It appears that something may be back feeding through one of the headlights.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This may be coming out of left field, but after studying the Power Distribution Circuit diagram, is there any chance that my issue could be the Multifunction Transmission Range Switch? That's on that same circuit twice, and that circuit also cross feeds into the ecm and the ignition coils.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, not sure if live with fuses removed isn't exactly what's supposed to happen...
AFAIK the Audi electrical system switches earth's, not live's...
So the live would be there all the time (at least while the ignition is on).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 A6q keeps running with key removed