97 Audi Q 2.8 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Audi Q 2.8 Transmission Issues

Good Day to all ! I bought this car in April for my wifes daily driver and so far have been very pleased with its performance. A couple weeks ago my wife reported that when she started up after work it would not shift into drive until after multiple attempts then it was fine. Last night she told me it had got worse to the point she was scared to drive it anymore until we had it looked at.
IDK know if the previous own had the service performed, or had issues with it. I am a medium DYI, but currently i am limited due to recovering from ankle surgery. I have read the forums and cannot narrow down the exact symptoms, they are:
  1. Will not go in gear or comes out of gear.
  2. No noise associated with problem.
  3. It used to go in lower gears then drive, now it does not.
Any advice is greatly appreciated !
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a quick update, I checked with my mechanic to see if he could do the service and he said he couldn't get the fluid that Audi requires. He doesn't work on Audi specially but he he has always done me right in the past.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fluid is not special, use like Valvoline maxlife or a multivehicle synthetic atf. Sounds like you have a leak and the fluid go real low, that or the transmission is just junk.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If yours is like my 96, it doesn't have a dipstick for ATF. Your problem sounds like too low a fluid. These cars are supposed to have the fluid changed every 45K miles, and it needs to be done correctly. VW/Audi has some fancy thing that they use (I think it is the VAG 1551 tool.)

I just take it to the dealer and get the tranny serviced because most shops CAN't correctly do it. It has worked for the past 227,000 miles and doesn't cost too much Audi-wise. If you must get an independent to do it, they need to carefully measure how much came out, but I think yours is LOW. Dexron III I think is what mine uses.