AC refrigerant hose nut stuck

Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC refrigerant hose nut stuck

Hi everyone!

Since I have leaking refrigerant hose on my car (seems to be common thing for C4 with A/C), I tried to disconnect the hose in order to replace it with a new one (the mentioned hose is no 8, bottom picture:http://www.upload.ee/image/4124785/260410.png)

While I managed to loose the nuts on the one end of the hose (the end next to the drier. Basically I put wrenches on them and didn't have to use any force), the nut on the other end (next to the radiator, marked with a red circle) seems to be stuck as hell

I'm not sure if it's the oxidation of aluminium (if the pipe is aluminium?) or something else, but I could not get it open. I placed a wooden block under the high pressure switch, where the pipe is connected, to avoid breaking it from its bracket and to avoid breaking something else (pipes, radiator etc) and used an 18 inch plumber wrench and my whole body weight to loosen it. Despite the whole car rocking along with as I used it, the nut didn't move at all.

I'm afraid that if I use more force, I will eventually break something else (radiator brackets, pipes, switch itself).

So, perhaps someone could give me a tip or an idea, how could I get that nut loose (perhaps using freezing, since heating is not possible due to the rubber hoses and sensors attached next to it) or what should I try?

Regards,

M.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikk889
Hi everyone!

Since I have leaking refrigerant hose on my car (seems to be common thing for C4 with A/C), I tried to disconnect the hose in order to replace it with a new one (the mentioned hose is no 8, bottom picture:http://www.upload.ee/image/4124785/260410.png)

While I managed to loose the nuts on the one end of the hose (the end next to the drier. Basically I put wrenches on them and didn't have to use any force), the nut on the other end (next to the radiator, marked with a red circle) seems to be stuck as hell

I'm not sure if it's the oxidation of aluminium (if the pipe is aluminium?) or something else, but I could not get it open. I placed a wooden block under the high pressure switch, where the pipe is connected, to avoid breaking it from its bracket and to avoid breaking something else (pipes, radiator etc) and used an 18 inch plumber wrench and my whole body weight to loosen it. Despite the whole car rocking along with as I used it, the nut didn't move at all.

I'm afraid that if I use more force, I will eventually break something else (radiator brackets, pipes, switch itself).

So, perhaps someone could give me a tip or an idea, how could I get that nut loose (perhaps using freezing, since heating is not possible due to the rubber hoses and sensors attached next to it) or what should I try?

Regards,

M.
I got the nut off, but took the thread also, so i had to change the hose..