Audi Bose radio problem, and Audi Gamma CC Bose vs Audi Gamma CC question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Bose radio problem, and Audi Gamma CC Bose vs Audi Gamma CC question

Been reading similar threads and looking for info about problem I'm having plus verification of some general info...

1. Got Audi 100 (non-quattro) sedan a few years ago. Has Audi Bose radio w/ cassette.

Radio worked but often sound level would be low for a few minutes, then get much louder (presumably the correct volume level).

Now volume is low on front speakers even when turned up all the way. Volume **** does change the loudness, but must be up nearly all the way to he at all useful - still not very loud. Left & right front speaker levels are the same. Worse, rear speakers just squeal with fairly rapidly changing pitch. Rear speakers are unaffected by the volume ****; same loudness.

Seems likely to me that the radio itself is defective. I'd guess amplifiers in doors probably ok since output from both is same: Clear audio, just not very loud. Amplifier under rear deck? Maybe defective, may be ok with garbage being sent to it by bad radio.

Any thoughts or solid info on my current problem would be very much appreciated.

2. Thinking the radio was at least part of the problem, I bought a replacement from a salvage yard near another city. Was shipped to me since it's several hundred miles away.

Radio in my car (1992 Audi 100) says "Audi Bose" on the faceplate; sticker says "Gamma CC Bose US" and part number "4A0 035 192 A". Radio I was sent, supposedly an Audi Gamma Bose from a 1993 Audi 100, says "Audi gamma" on the faceplate and sticker says "Gamma CC US" with part number "4A0 035 093".

Am I correct that my original radio relies on audio amplifiers in the doors for the front speakers and the amplifier under the rear window deck for the rear speakers? And that the one I was sent was not what they said it was, a Gamma Bose, but another Gamma model that relies on lower power audio amplifiers in the radio itself rather than the higher power external amplifiers? If so, I suppose it'd probably work but could damage those external amplifiers and/or speakers if it was turned up too much.

Am I right about this?

PS - Thanks to all you contributors, who have helped me with other issues. And helped me get what info I think I know about these radios. Hopefully you can help me with this...