I need some help. I am new

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help. I am new

Hello, I have a 97 A6 2.8L 12v Quattro Avant that I think is a c4 platform but this is my first Audi so not sure. So here is my scenario. A few days ago as I was driving to work I began to hear a squeal that sounded like a loose or worn belt. I was very close to work so I continued driving another 1/4 mile when the temp. light came on. I pulled into a parking lot and just as I made into the lot she died on me. Prior to the light coming on I had no idea that the car was hot. No smell, temp. gauge reading normal, etc. When I got her home a couple of days later I began to asses the situation. It didn't take long to figure out that it was a timing belt issue. It didn't break though. It appears that one of the pulleys seized because the belt is shredded on the edges, and there is a lot of belt debris in the area. I have removed the drivers side plastic cover but the pass. side cover wont come off. It appears that the belt tensioner needs to come off first. Before I start going any deeper I thought I should try and get an education on this issue first.

Is the motor poss. still good due to the belt not breaking?
If so, is there a way to find out for sure?
I slid the belt off of the pulleys when I first started trying to diagnose my
problem and from what I've read this is not good?

Any advice, opinion, help is very much appreciated.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:33 PM
One
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The water pump is driven off the timing belt. Most likely it locked up and you did not read a hot engine on the gauge because there was no circulation. The belt damage is from that water pump pulley stopping. You are lucky. Now just hope you are lucky enough to not have blown the cyl head gasket. That would be the only engine dmg i would expect (or hope not).
What you have to do not is NOT start the engine. replace the timing belt, water pump and thermostat. This is a task i have to tackle myself on my own car and dread as i have never done this on this engine. I do know you need cam and crank locking tools. I personally would not attempt this without those on a OHC.