rear caliper rebuild guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good writeup with pictures, I went the easy and fairly cheap route and bought Cardone rebuilds. Once you return the core the cost was not that bad.
Even O'reilly's and Autozone have the same rebuilds, stock is generally low/out though for rears.
Fronts are much more common.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Earlier this year I went and bought the Audi A6 rear calipers from "Dave's Auto Parts" on Amazon.

Raybestos FRC10145 Professional Grade Remanufactured, Semi-Loaded Disc Brake Caliper

And:

Raybestos FRC10146 Professional Grade Remanufactured, Semi-Loaded Disc Brake Caliper

Both calipers with shipping..and a $10 gift card discount cost me $134 and no core charges..The prices are up about $10/$20 now. Still a good price.

The Audi calipers were well re-manufactured, looked very good and are working well.

An option if you don't want to hassle with your old rusty Audi calipers.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Write Up

I just wanted to reiterate what others have said, Thank you for this posting.

I have just pulled the calipers off my 97 A6 Quattro and the parking brake levers have seized on mine also.

I was looking at buying remanufactured calipers, but now I have this "how to" guide, and the fact that the rebuild kits cost less than $10 for two kits including delivery!! RockAuto Parts Catalog Why would I mess around paying over $200 for the calipers, then have to mess around sending the old ones in for the core refund?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

PDQ Many thanks for the info. I have the same problem with a caliper and it looks about the same condition as yours. Extra thanks for the warning about the internal spring.
James
Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is the hole part inside the piston that goes into the pin screw in the caliper called?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hi i see the pics and must say thats the best guide for caliper re build i have seen outside a haynes manual. could you tell where i can get all these parts i went to big red but it looks like they don't do the hand brake mec seal i could be wrong but if you could let me know that would be great also what type of grease you used.
many thanks ONE TROUBLED A8 OWNER.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks alot !! that helped me to do on my C4 S4 rear brakes in this confinment days
Old 08-16-2020, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow. Thanks for the writeup. I would not have been able to do this without it and I'm a pretty accomplished hobby wrencher.

One HUGE favor to others would be if someone has found a pair of long nose circlip pliers that work - PLEASE POST THE EXACT TOOL. I spent more than half the time it took me to do the entire job dealing with that circlip and I have 3 different pliers for circlips and 2 are the multiple tip type. I could not find a pair of pliers to save my life in my town. All special order and frankly I don't think many of them will even fit. I did not want to find out by ordering 3 of the 'possibles' and returning 2. If you have not done this job, please do not speculate that this or that super long nose circlip pliers will work. There is a sheetmetal tube with a spring in it in the piston bore after the piston is removed and there is precious little room - there is no straightforward access. So, that would be super helpful for others on a very old thread for which there are still some grateful owners that would appreciate that specific tool. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Caliper circlip plier

Originally Posted by IdahoDoug
Wow. Thanks for the writeup. I would not have been able to do this without it and I'm a pretty accomplished hobby wrencher.

One HUGE favor to others would be if someone has found a pair of long nose circlip pliers that work - PLEASE POST THE EXACT TOOL. I spent more than half the time it took me to do the entire job dealing with that circlip and I have 3 different pliers for circlips and 2 are the multiple tip type. I could not find a pair of pliers to save my life in my town. All special order and frankly I don't think many of them will even fit. I did not want to find out by ordering 3 of the 'possibles' and returning 2. If you have not done this job, please do not speculate that this or that super long nose circlip pliers will work. There is a sheetmetal tube with a spring in it in the piston bore after the piston is removed and there is precious little room - there is no straightforward access. So, that would be super helpful for others on a very old thread for which there are still some grateful owners that would appreciate that specific tool. Thanks!

www.kstools.com, part 500.1037. I live in Norway, ordered from autodeler.no.co but I believe it is available from suppliers the world. Used on my Audi A6 C4 rear calipers, the spring load does not rest at the circlip so with this tool it was an easy job 😊
Old 07-03-2021, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a pair of rebuilds through O'reilly's, cardone rebuild for around 50 each minus core.
Worth the price, practically plug and play.