replacing cooling fan switch.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:44 AM
One
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacing cooling fan switch.

My cooling fans seem to not come on at the right temps/intervals. I dont think they need to run with outside temps in the teens and cruising the interstate. They do come on with the a/c on. temp gauge in dash has not worked/most of the time for a long time. I removed the connector and jumped across the terminals and verified that the low and hi speed fans and relays work. Am i correct in the assumption that the instrument gauge is fed by the same switch as controls the fans? bottom of radiator. From what i read the sensor below the intake hose is just for the ecm. I also read that removing the sensor from the radiator can lead to the plastic radiator breaking and leaking afterwards. has anyone done this repair and has any advice?
Old 02-22-2015, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

The A/C will allow the fans to run..no matter what the engine temperature is. The idea is to have air flow over the A/C condenser with the A/C on. The exception is when it gets very cold outside. There is a sensor to disable the A/C compressor when it is too cold outside to avoid damaging the A/C compressor.

The radiator fan switch and temp gauge are not connected. Two independent systems. There is a another sensor for the temp gauge and the fan switch sensor...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:19 PM
One
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
The A/C will allow the fans to run..no matter what the engine temperature is. The idea is to have air flow over the A/C condenser with the A/C on. The exception is when it gets very cold outside. There is a sensor to disable the A/C compressor when it is too cold outside to avoid damaging the A/C compressor.

The radiator fan switch and temp gauge are not connected. Two independent systems. There is a another sensor for the temp gauge and the fan switch sensor...
Yes, i understand why the fans come on when the a/c is turned on.
My question is about replacing the fan switch and temp gauge sender and or verifying their operation. I do have a multimeter to use.
Also i am wondering how brittle the radiator might be. Has anyone replaced this switch and do you have advice?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by One
Yes, i understand why the fans come on when the a/c is turned on.
My question is about replacing the fan switch and temp gauge sender and or verifying their operation. I do have a multimeter to use.
Also i am wondering how brittle the radiator might be. Has anyone replaced this switch and do you have advice?
I've replaced many of the radiator fan switches over the years. I doubt your radiator will suffer if you remove and install a new fan switch. The radiator has a brass fitting that the fan switch threads into. No problems there.

The temp gauge sender (if we are talking a 12v 2.8 V6) is on the coolant pipe passenger side behind the engine. Tight location but changing out the sender is easy enough. The Bentley has a graph with a temp to resistance curve.

See the link and scroll down to:Coolant Temperature Gauge-Overheat Warning: Multi-Function Temperature Sensor (MFTS)

SJM Autotechnik, Audi Technical Service Repair Information
Old 03-15-2015, 11:58 AM
One
AudiWorld Member

Default Done

That was easy....the temp sender for the gauge was just a matter of removing the intake pipe and plastic housing. disconnected the iac connector, used a 29mm (i think) injector socket. I never even drained the coolant. Remove sender, inserted the new one and only lost maybe a quart of coolant. I then went to the cooling fan switch on the radiator. This one was even easier. It was barely tight. I loosened it up from above, with the new switch in the same hand removed to old one and swapped. very little coolant loss- maybe 2 cups.
Both units were original '93 Now my temp gauge works and the cooling fans come on at a good temp. The new switch is set a bit colder than the original. That's ok. The temp sender was the original 4 prong that they do not make anymore. Connector very briddle.