1986 Audi coupe GT - Coolant lights comes up on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Audi coupe GT - Coolant lights comes up on acceleration

My car is in excellent condition. From the last couple of month, coolant light comes up and go on acceleration and turning. I checked the coolant level and level is ok. there is no leak. What should I check??.

thanks
Hash
Attached Images    

Last edited by onlineweb; 12-12-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's probably the coolant level sensor on the reservoir. Unplug it and go for a drive. If it stops coming on then that's what it is. In fact I don't think I know anyone who has theirs plugged in because it's a common failure and as far as I know you either can't get them new or they're expensive.

-Rog
Old 10-21-2018, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 1986 coupe gt temperature light.

I hv replaced the thermostat. Flush the system multiple times. Replaced coolant tank also with new sensor. Light still comes up on acceleration after 15 minute of driving. Ur help is highly appreciated please

hashtks
Old 10-22-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

How's the temperature actually reading? Nominal? You could be losing coolant flow if your water pump is about to kick the bucket. Has it ever been replaced? Sounds like it's level related though because of the "cornering" thing too. Did you try unplugging the sensor in the overflow like Rog said? Mine was doing that but after I unplugged it the problem went away. It could be a short somewhere.