85 CGT CIS probs

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 CGT CIS probs

So it's me again.
after we got the fuel line fixed (thanks Rog) we tried to start her up and nothing.
we're getting fuel all the way up to the fuel distributor, but nothing to the engine.
I don't believe that the injectors are clogged or broke so I'm thinking it has to deal with the distributor.
I'm thinking the plunger in the middle of it isn't lifting alowing fuel to the lines.

Any thoughts? I'm having a guy come look at it tomorrow so I'll update what he says.
thanks in advance
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you undo the three screws holding the fuel distributor to the metering plate you can lift it off and get to the plunger. It should move up and down freely. If not, carefully remove it and clean it and the inside with carb cleaner.

Some cautions, in case you don't know:

Do not use any tools on the plunger. They are precision milled to fit exactly (so much that you can't usually swap them between fuel distributors), so any damage will ruin the whole thing.

Do not try to remove the barrel (where the plunger rides), as misaligning it will cause the distributor to leak or not work at all.

Just take the distributor off, clean the plunger, put it back.

I'm sure that's all it is.

-Rog
Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was messing around with it today and I changed some fuses and checked my relays. seems like my relief relay is bad, trouble is I have no clue what that is.
but I did get it running, it's a little rough but it's running. I haven't drove it yet though.

I also found a broken vaccum tube coming from the distributor, think that may have something to do with the roughness
Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also found a broken vaccum tube coming from the distributor, think that may have something to do with the roughness[/QUOTE]

Yeah, broken vacuum lines will cause it to run rough and there are a lot of them. The good news is that they're easy and cheap to replace. Don't know how much experience you have with these cars (I've been working on/driving them since 1987), but running rough is something that many, if not most of them, suffer from. And many drivers just accept it because the cars are so well engineered, that they will still get you where you're going almost no matter what is wrong (unless its a fuel pump, ha!). But that's obviously not what you want to do, so replace ALL of your vacuum lines, and go for a drive. It will run better, GUARANTEED.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah, +1 for new vacuum lines -- cheap and easy. Remember, these cars ran well when they were new, and they don't run rough just 'cause they're old! Making sure you have sound, flexible, good-sealing vacuum connections is a great place to start.