Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

upload a video of the sound perhaps? looks very good
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was planning a re-charge before june but after reading this I'm thinking there's no way I can afford it by then. . . thanks for the good info though.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

had to adjust the heater valve cable yesterday. wasn't fully shutting off, which didn't do wonder for the A/C efficiency. It sure is a process to sort out a 28 year AUDI.

I will try to get a video clip of the exhaust note and post it. Sound level is mellow, but rich. no droning ever with the Hushpower mufflers.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

awesome, im looking forward to hearing it. i get a pretty noticeable drone from my exhaust. Mine is an automatic though...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

had a chance to spend some more time on the car today, and I decided to tackle the timing belt. the old one had about 30,000 miles on it, but had been on the car since 1998. The water pump was done a few months ago by the previous owner, and in their wisdom, they reused the 14 year old timing belt instead of just changing it when they had the chance. lots of old greasy caked on mess under the front timing belt cover from a long time front corner valve cover gasket leak that was fixed years ago, but never fully cleaned up. de-greased everything and blasted and painted the various timing cover pieces and pulleys. I am not very fast at these kinds of jobs and it took me almost the entire day, but at least I got the timing right and the car fired right up after wards. also replaced the heater valve. the A/C worked great until the car really warmed up, then it got weaker. I suspected the old heater valve was leaking a small amount of coolant by even when it was closed, and I was right. you could blow through it when it was closed all the way, and on the new one, you could not. i suspect the A/C will blow very cold now even when the car warms up--at least i hope so.

put some 10mm alloy spring spacers under the rear springs today, and it raised the back end up 2/3 inch and it now matches the front height better.

made a little splash cover for the A/C cowl area. used some 1/8 thermoplastic from Tap. you can heat it and shape it. i also found a cabin filter in the 4 X 9 inch size that will fit the inlet on the 4000Q. was from a mid 2000's Hyundai. going to rig it up so all that crap doesn't get into the car.

here are a few photos from today. even though the red valve cover looked decent in photos, in real life it was a tacky job and the thing was sprayed while still on the car. Had red over spray all over the place that i needed to clean up. decided to go with the classic wrinkle black on the valve cover, and i like the way it
turned out. looks clean and classy.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

beautiful paint work! if i had the money i would do everything you have done to my engine. When i get my welding stuff sorted out, i will be making $55 per hour easy. im going to buy a 4000 q and restore it like you are doing here. I believe mine is to far gone to restore this nicely...

so, my plan is to get another vintage Audi that isnt totally screwy with electric gremlins and so on
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

love this car. brings back some memories as my dad had a white 4000 back in the 80's and 90's. your car looks fantastic.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

pulled into to a local Audi VW repair place today, and the entire shop emptied out to see the car. people can't believe its the original paint and interior. I am having a lot fun with it and love driving the car. Now that the new heater valve is installed and actually shuts off fully, I have real cold A/C blowing out the vents.

Had to adjust the timing belt tension today, which is a pain in the butt. was too tight and making noises. to get at the slotted bolts for the water pump to adjust the tension, you have to take a lot of stuff off. If someone has glued the water pump down like the PO did, means basically replacing the pump or at least removing it, cleaning all the sealant off, and putting in a new O ring. NO silicone or other sealants should be used on these pumps, only light grease on the O ring. be sure to clean the surface really good where the O ring contacts the engine block. finbally got it right, and now no weird belt noises. only the fuel pump hum and loud radiator fan--but those are part of this era German cars character.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

ill tell you right now, if i saw that car driving or pull into my shop, i would be going crazy for it. im glad its found a good owner!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

The main guy at the shop used to have one, and was really missing his after seeing mine. He took it out for a spin, and that only made him feel worse I think. he gave me the famous "if you ever want to sell it" thing.

still got to get a sound clip of the exhaust. it sounds really nice. something about that inline 5.

Quick Reply: am I nuts, 1984 Quattro non op for 8 years