Audi 5+5 - anybody remember or know about this car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi 5+5 - anybody remember or know about this car?

I might be crazy but I remember the 5+5 here in Canada (and sure I saw one in Hawaii in the 90s). They were a 2 door front wheel drive 4000 from what I can tell. Anybody know where there might be a rust free car? Can the floor from a 4000q be cut and welded in place of the 5+5 floor? Is the suspension swapable? As you can tell Id like a quattro 2 door sedan id possible. With only 120 made from the factory and all in Europe I think the cost of building my own would be much cheaper.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't speak for Canada, but in the US they're "rare", but not expensive. People talk about them like they're gold but I've seen them sit unsold and then everyone throws a fit when it goes to the scrap yard.

So they're kind of a weird car as far as finding and buying one. But I wouldn't say they're hard to find, it's just a matter of finding someone who hasn't given up on selling theirs and still has an ad out somewhere. I would think you'd be better off putting out a "want to buy" ad. Just be careful with the price. I wouldn't pay more than a comparable 4000 quattro. Rarer doesn't automatically make it not suck as a driver's car.

As far as making one into a quattro, I've mulled this, both from starting with a 5+5 and starting with a 4000 quattro. I don't know which would be easier. Either way you're having to do some major chopping and splicing. Awhile back I asked on one of the other sites and they were more concerned with saying what a stupid idea it was than actually discussing the work involved, so i came away with very few answers.

I kind of settled on some sort of combo of a 4000 quattro plus a Coupe GT for the doors and possibly the roof and windshield. At least you wouldn't have to swap basically the entire drivetrain and the floor and I don't know what else. The good news is that you're looking at basically the same wheelbase and length between the 5+5, 4000 quattro, and Coupe GT. Any differences can be massaged out.

I think it would be a cool project to see done. A lot of work, yes, but it would be worth doing just because it would be unique and neat. If you've got the time and money, do it. Personally, while I was at it anyway I would shorten the car to get rid of that "broad side of a barn" look that coupes shouldn't have.

Something like this (but without the split rear side window):

-Rog
Old 01-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey there and thanks for the reply. i hate it when people bitch about stuff. i proposed an engine swap for more cubes in a lotus forum and a dumbass from (where else) canada keot saying going from a 1.6 to 1.8 would make no different in power and the extra inch of block height would equal an extra 50 pounds in weight which wasnt worth the extra 4 hp gain. drives me nuts. i think the big concern is are the suspension points in the rear plug and play between fwd and quattro. the next is finding one. i have a friend who is a car fanatic and teaches autoshop ay his highschool. he tells me its heaven and would be happy to do the work. any technical thoughts would be a great help as is a lead on a car.
The following users liked this post:
Emanjo (01-31-2023)
Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogviler

I kind of settled on some sort of combo of a 4000 quattro plus a Coupe GT

Something like this (but without the split rear side window):

-Rog
Interesting rendering. I see a hint of a late 1970s BMW 6 series in it.

Anything can be done, but yes, it would be TONS of work. I actually think it would be easier to start with a 4KQ and turn it into a 2-door. In that case it is just the doors and then the clean-up....no drive train swapping.

As for the 5+5, yes, they do seem to come up once in a while. I am a real hound for the older Audis, and I guess I see or hear of a 5+5 up for sale probably once per year, although I have never seen a super clean one.

I've never really stopped looking for a super clean Audi Fox GTI (1978 and '79 only).
Attached Images  

Last edited by teach; 01-23-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by teach
Interesting rendering. I see a hint of a late 1970s BMW 6 series in it.
Someone else did this one, which is pretty ballin':

-Rog
Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 5+5 Audi

I once owned one for 10 years and when i went to see it no one was interested (ok on guy emailed me 6 mo. later about it) or they bitched and moaned about the location, hell if you want a clean, rust free car, California may be the last place (stay away from early audi's that lived by the ocean). I had a nice car, sorted tall geared and potential for more, I have seen a total of 10, mostly in junkyards, mine was brown metallic with wolftooth cloth interior, sunroof and a/c, I updated mine with carpet from a coupe gt, backseat from same and solved the wiring trouble by by passing the fuel pump, radiator fan and rear defroster circuits. all an all a good car, but I had to move and with no buyers and no place to store it, the local junkyard gave me 500 for it and my dead 84 coupe gt. moral of the story, if you can afford one, then go get it and drive it home, have a sense of adventure, my 5+5 would have gone coast to coast with no trouble, but no one wanted to try.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Marc6899
I once owned one for 10 years and when i went to see it no one was interested (ok on guy emailed me 6 mo. later about it) or they bitched and moaned about the location, hell if you want a clean, rust free car, California may be the last place (stay away from early audi's that lived by the ocean). I had a nice car, sorted tall geared and potential for more, I have seen a total of 10, mostly in junkyards, mine was brown metallic with wolftooth cloth interior, sunroof and a/c, I updated mine with carpet from a coupe gt, backseat from same and solved the wiring trouble by by passing the fuel pump, radiator fan and rear defroster circuits. all an all a good car, but I had to move and with no buyers and no place to store it, the local junkyard gave me 500 for it and my dead 84 coupe gt. moral of the story, if you can afford one, then go get it and drive it home, have a sense of adventure, my 5+5 would have gone coast to coast with no trouble, but no one wanted to try.
Ouch (lowers head for a moment of silence).
Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 5+5 135k miles

Old 08-03-2015, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scott bogenrief
My 5+5 135k miles
Very nice! Rob's car, right? How recently did you purchase it?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I had a silver one. 1981. Bought it in 1983 for $6000.00 ($8000.00 but the owner owed me $2000.00) It had 18,000 miles on the clock. He paid about 12K for it.

Donated it to a charity organization in 1998 when an inboard CV Joint opened up stranding the car in the left turn lane at an intersection far from home. I had lent it to my sister-in-law. It served me well as it had 225,000 miles on it. By then it was no fun to work on as everything under the hood and on the suspension was rusted.

Quick Reply: Audi 5+5 - anybody remember or know about this car?