Audi 5+5 - anybody remember or know about this car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teach
Very nice! Rob's car, right? How recently did you purchase it?
Picked it up a couple weeks ago...got the car almost finished...new exz, cam,more compression, big valve head and many many hours of deep cleaning...new suspension next week...i promised rob i would finish it
Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I owned 2 of the 5+5 in past. Was 2dr 4000 with (5cyl + 5 speed)
they also had nicer sport bucket seats. This became the GT coupe.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I had one years ago when I was in My late teens and early twenties

Originally Posted by Rogviler
I can't speak for Canada, but in the US they're "rare", but not expensive. People talk about them like they're gold but I've seen them sit unsold and then everyone throws a fit when it goes to the scrap yard.

So they're kind of a weird car as far as finding and buying one. But I wouldn't say they're hard to find, it's just a matter of finding someone who hasn't given up on selling theirs and still has an ad out somewhere. I would think you'd be better off putting out a "want to buy" ad. Just be careful with the price. I wouldn't pay more than a comparable 4000 quattro. Rarer doesn't automatically make it not suck as a driver's car.

As far as making one into a quattro, I've mulled this, both from starting with a 5+5 and starting with a 4000 quattro. I don't know which would be easier. Either way you're having to do some major chopping and splicing. Awhile back I asked on one of the other sites and they were more concerned with saying what a stupid idea it was than actually discussing the work involved, so i came away with very few answers.

I kind of settled on some sort of combo of a 4000 quattro plus a Coupe GT for the doors and possibly the roof and windshield. At least you wouldn't have to swap basically the entire drivetrain and the floor and I don't know what else. The good news is that you're looking at basically the same wheelbase and length between the 5+5, 4000 quattro, and Coupe GT. Any differences can be massaged out.

I think it would be a cool project to see done. A lot of work, yes, but it would be worth doing just because it would be unique and neat. If you've got the time and money, do it. Personally, while I was at it anyway I would shorten the car to get rid of that "broad side of a barn" look that coupes shouldn't have.

Something like this (but without the split rear side window):

-Rog
It was a pretty cool car It was quick for what it was and it handled corners like it was on rails. But my gear shifter kept coming off and the worst times.