'83 CGT won't start....found out why....wierd :>(

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '83 CGT won't start....found out why....wierd :>(

It ran fine in the morning a few days ago. Went out to drive it that afternoon, no start. Cranked fine, but wouldn't catch. Did a search here, made a list of "stuff" to check. No luck.
Finally found a hose that goes from valve cover to air filter housing had a big hole in it. Figured it wasn't the cause, but needed to be replaced. Took the fuel distributer housing loose to get at the connection, and replace the air filter while I was at it. Replaced the hose with one off my parts car. While I was putting the clamps back on, I saw the rear(#5 cyl) injector looked funny. Was sitting crooked. I reached in to wiggle it. It was loose! Just laying there on the manifold. Hence low, or no, vacuum, hence no run.
Turns out, the plastic piece that screws into the manifold, that the injector goes into, was installed wrong at one time and cross-threaded. It must have gotten popped out when the engine back-fired or something. Dunno. But the threads on it are all but gone, and you can see where it was cross-threaded. So anyways, have new holder on order, along with new seal. I'll update here when I get it all back together and (hopefully) running.
Just something to add to our "no start" archives.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:12 PM

Default It was'nt held in by the injector support?

I never fooled with the injectors, however the car was at Barier once for a bad fuel pump relay diagnosis, maybe one of the techs screwed with it.
I never took it back there since I was billed close to $500 for a complete fuel system check when I told them that I thought it was the relay (and it was) grrr.
That's when I decided I needed to learn how to work on these things myself
Old 05-07-2004, 01:01 PM

Default The support rack is gone....

...I have one on my parts car. Think I'll yank it off and put it on. But yeah, looked like someone replaced the insert, and didn't get it started straight. Probably been working it's way loose for along time.
The car actually did start, but you could tell it was only running off the CSV. Had to keep reving the throttle, wouldn't idle, and got hot real fast(probably too lean). Then once the engine got warmed up, no starty.
BTW, is that you I bought it from? Was wondering what your handle was :0) Car's been a great car, other than this problem. Got the trunk lid replaced, along with alot of trim pieces. Still haven't had the body damage fixed yet though. Someday.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:28 PM

Default Yeah, I remember you posting about the wheel bearing

That sucks because I had paid about $400 to have that fixed and it had less than 5K on it when I sold it to you, I hope it was'nt too much trouble.
I guess it's true "If you want something done right..."
Old 05-07-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Yeah, I remember you posting about the wheel bearing

LOL :-)
Yeah, no biggie. I'm used to doing them now. Did both on my '82, and both on a '83 5000 I had several years ago. In fact I think I had to re-do one on my '82 a second time. Do 'em in my sleep now ;&gt
Old 05-12-2004, 06:47 AM

Default All better now! :>)

New injector holder in and runs like a champ now!
Glad that's all it was. Had me stumped for awhile there.