Engine wiring help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine wiring help!!

Hi guys! Im new here! I need some help with my 85 audi 4000s fwd 1.8. I bought it for my fiance for a fun summer car for her. A little history on the purchase of the car.. I bought it from an 80 year old that had it for 15 years. The head gasket went out 4 years ago, he pulled the head and had it machined at a local trusted shop(builds race engines on a daily). After bolting the head on he got sick and was unable to finish the project so i bought it. After bringing it home i noticed... Almost all the wires in the engine bay were cut right by the connector and i cant figure out which wire is supposed to go where.. And what plug goes to where.. If anyone has an electrical diagram for these cars or can take very close and detailed pictures of connectors hooked up the the appropriate place with tire colors and where the wires go, you would be my savior! Turned out the be a headache!! Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-27-2016, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just two examples of the many cut wires...

Old 03-04-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can't recall exactly, but I'm 99% sure that all lighter brown wires are grounds, such as the two wires coming off of the bolt in the first picture. The rest you should be able to match up colors. Thankfully there aren't a ton of individual wires in the engine bay, and most wires are grouped together based on the connector they go to. So if you see a set of three wires (red, red/white, and brown), just match it up to that same set of three colors. If you end up stuck, let me know and I can scan a wiring diagram for you. Either way I can scan a wiring diagram for you.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The red/yellow one is for the ignition coil. Same with a few others in that part with the harness. I don't remember which though since i replaced my harness with a MC2 harness a year ago.

If you can find the gren/white one in the harness you got the rest of the cables for the coldstart valve since thats the only gren/white one in the engine bay.

All of the brown ones are as TEF1701 says, grounds.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TEF1701
I can't recall exactly, but I'm 99% sure that all lighter brown wires are grounds, such as the two wires coming off of the bolt in the first picture. The rest you should be able to match up colors. Thankfully there aren't a ton of individual wires in the engine bay, and most wires are grouped together based on the connector they go to. So if you see a set of three wires (red, red/white, and brown), just match it up to that same set of three colors. If you end up stuck, let me know and I can scan a wiring diagram for you. Either way I can scan a wiring diagram for you.
Unfortunately.. They didnt leave a lot of the wire harness together.. Im missing a lot of the wire harness. But i started on a carb swap thinking it wpuld be easier to get it running but no.. I dont understand this carburetor.. Looks like a holley 5200 with a lot more emission stuff on it..
Old 03-26-2016, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go to a junkyard (or anywhere else) and take photos of a similar car's wiring and use that as a guide? (Or am I misunderstanding the gist of your question?)

row52.com