First Car 4KQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see she's going to be rescued! Keep us posted.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is this the plunger that is supposed to go up and down? I tapped it down lightly after soaking it in carb cleaner, but it wont budge when I try to pull it up.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it's supposed to move up and down. Be very careful with it, they have such close tolerances that they had to be built by aliens. Just work it with your fingers. You can also spray carb cleaner in the injector holes, including the cold start valve hole.

-Rog
Old 10-04-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ditto what Rog said. If you can't get it to move from the bottom, come at it from the top. I got one off of a junk car, and it was solid as a rock. I sprayed both ends with fuel injector cleaner and let it soak overnight. By the next morning it was moving. Not smoothly, but at least it was moving.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

UGGHHHHHHH, I had to leave for an hr for my sons basketball game. My buddy who's a pretty good mechanic took it upon himself to disassemble it and....its in pieces. Got the plunger to move without damage. But doubt i can put it back together and have everything line up. None of the junkyards have any 4K's or 5K's now. Ebay has rebuilds for 400.00. Arrrgghhh, has anyone put one back together and had any luck ??
Old 10-05-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The fuel distributor? They are rebuildable, but not if you mix up the pieces.

See here:

http://www.porsche928forums.com/down...CISRebuild.pdf

Generally you want to leave them alone simple because they have a lot of little parts and they don't usually need to be rebuilt. But since it's apart anyway you have nothing to lose.

Otherwise get a used one from somebody on here or on Motorgeek (check the Swap Meet section).

-Rog
Old 10-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the 928 link. Im headed to the JY later today for a fuel pump (mine is shot). Then i will attempt to reassemble. Like you said i have nothing to lose.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fuel distributor

Otherwise get a used one from somebody on here or on Motorgeek (check the Swap Meet section).

-Rog[/QUOTE]

Let me know if you have trouble rebuilding, and decide to just get a used one. Mine is available, complete, and works great. Never been monkeyed with. I'm sure I'd beat myself in the head, trying to rescue the old one, but the tolerances are super tight and without knowing what was tweaked, well, it can really slow things down. Let me know if you need the book on Bosch fuel injection. It explains EVERY DETAIL.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Chris. Im going to attempt the assembly this week. But wont get to test it till this weekend. I still need to hit the JY and get a fuel pump. Hopefully it will work, if not...i will pm you for a price on your FD.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rog, I attempted to pull the tank last night..got the important hoses off and she wiggles but will not come out. After reading some posts it appears there are hoses at the bottom of the tank that need to be disconnected. Are those located behind the back seat rest where (2) 3" holes that are plugged can be seen ? Im about an 1/8 tank full. Whats the safest and best way to drain it before i pull it. Thanks

Quick Reply: First Car 4KQ