My '87 4kcsq project

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '87 4kcsq project

Ever since I owned an '87 GLI for a short period of time, I always wanted a 4000 quattro. It's basicly the only audi I have ever truley longed for. Like a mk2 jetta with some nuts! (even if it is based on the passat) So i kicked around the idea for years, always finding an excuse not too buy yet another car. But when I started commuting across the rocky mountains every week, my need for a good winter car became a necessity.

Truth is, I've had my eye on this particular 4k for a few years and when my best friends dad finally decided to sell i didn't hesitate.

quattro recarro's

Sure it was a mechanic's special, but the 2nd owner is a mechanic and took very good care if it for 15 years. It came with damn near every part that needed replaced along with a freshly rebuilt 5cyl inside and a complete 5k turbo engine like a tantalizing cherry on top of an already good deal.

Picked up the car late one december evening, drove the short distance to my buddies house and we tore into it till 2am that night, fixing all the small stuff like the grill, hood latch cable, antenna, door handles, etc.

here it was that morning

Then we threw the new hood on and I drove it 4 hours home. Car didn't skip a beat and I am amazed at how well EVERYTHING still works bieng a 25yo car.
The best part of this deal was all the extras in the backseat and trunk including:
-4 new snow tires
-2 new door handles
-new power antenna
-cap, rotor, plugs(one set already installed and one in the box)
-timing belt
-new cis pump
-replacement hood & fender
-new water pump
-AC dryer
-windshield trim lock
-window switches (set of 4)
-Bentley manual

Might be slow on the updates as I plan to drive it pretty much as is this winter. However, the ultimate goal with this project is to do the swap, go meagasquirt and big boost, then take it to the grassroots challenge.

Last edited by westco4K; 12-26-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks great, I love those seats. Bummer about the hood, but it's nice that you had a replacement.

Do you have the timing belt tools? I was going to invest in them this Spring and do all the cars.

-Rog
Old 12-24-2011, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I cant say I have the pin wrench but if they are anything like the 8v motors I bet we could fabricate something that will work. thats what we did years back.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got tired of the one chrome badge on the car

Been piecing together a very grassroots coilover set. Have almost everything needed but those springs are gonna be pretty stiff according to my math, not to mention the rears might be a little short.

if anyone has some first hand info on spring heights and rates for the 4kq, feel free to chime in. Most of the good info I have found has been coupe stuff
Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Once you understand what coilovers are and see one finished it's pretty easy to make it up for whatever car you have. It's really just making a new perch on which to put the threaded sleeve. The only tricky thing is knowing where to put the perch, but it's pretty forgiving, being adjustable.

This is about the best rundown out there and the closest to the 4kq you'll probably get:

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.p...26499&p=314072

It's a "one of these days" project for me, that's for sure.

-Rog
Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rogviler
Once you understand what coilovers are
ouch. lol

Yeah that's a coupe thread I was referring too. Its just a matter of my lack of experience with the audi's. I have no idea if the b3 coupe rear strut is the same height as a b2 4 door strut. The fronts look very similar.
I'm mostly poking around about the spring rates. If i need a softer spring anyway, it would be good to know how tall would be ideal for the best range of adjustment. my current springs are 7 inch.
Sounds like most are running 350-400 for the street. My calculated 530lb-in sounds a little stiff but since I haven't actually had them tested, I'll probly just throw em on and find out the hard way. . . literally.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I guess it helps if i read the original MG thread insted of the vortex one. shoulda been a no brainer. lol
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by westco4K
ouch. lol
Heh, I guess I was just speaking from my own experience... For a long time I was like WTF are "coilovers"? I was familiar with coilover style spring setups, which 4kqs have, and it took me awhile to figure out that people meant adjustable coilovers, and then a bit to figure out that it's really just moving the spring perch and the rest is all about the parts you buy. If I'd had someone explain it to me I wouldn't have even thought to find a tutorial.

I have my Audi Fox set up pretty stiff and I like it, although if there's anything in the trunk it'll launch it in the air. But that's much better than the way it was, which was blown shocks where the CAR caught air over bumps.

-Rog
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I definitely like a firm ride also. so long as it doesn't kill me on the 3 hr drive monday morning and the track manners improve over stock, chances are I'll like it more than the cadillac ride it's got now.
Funny story about your ejecto-trunk. Your fox kind of a goldish brown color? saw one in town wed night zippin along down patterson.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine is infamous Dakota Beige:

It's actually been grounded since I had a bizarre wiring fire a few weeks ago. It's probably fine to drive, I'm just leery about doing so at night again until I get a new harness (for the interior lights circuit).

BTW, if you didn't already know, there are 3 or 4 4kqs at Phil's Auto Salvage in Hotchkiss if you need any parts. I was going to snag the front doors of the red one to swap on my '84 (tired of leaky vent windows), but they're all torn apart. So if you see another '85+ in Tornado Red, let me know.

-Rog

Quick Reply: My '87 4kcsq project