New 87.5 GT member

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Aaah, I see. So the rings on the doors are decals? Like I said, it's hard to tell from the pics. The black is almost certainly a later addition. The ring decals definitely ARE something you could get (not positive if they were an option on the CGT, but the Ur-Quattro got them for sure), and they used to be available from the dealer until not too long ago if I'm not mistaken. What's interesting about yours is that normally they go from silver or black at the front to transparent at the back, so yours are unique...

You should get a better shot of just the rings. It almost looks like they painted the lower half black with the rings masked and then applied a black-to-transparent decal backwards over the masked area so the original color is showing through. Or is the decal itself red and fades to transparent over the black?

Either way it's interesting. Definitely gets my vote for a Special Build. I love the interior. I feel like I've seen the car before on Motorgeek, so I might have to dig around there and see if there's some more history for you.

-Rog
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogviler
Aaah, I see. So the rings on the doors are decals? Like I said, it's hard to tell from the pics. The black is almost certainly a later addition. The ring decals definitely ARE something you could get (not positive if they were an option on the CGT, but the Ur-Quattro got them for sure), and they used to be available from the dealer until not too long ago if I'm not mistaken. What's interesting about yours is that normally they go from silver or black at the front to transparent at the back, so yours are unique...

You should get a better shot of just the rings. It almost looks like they painted the lower half black with the rings masked and then applied a black-to-transparent decal backwards over the masked area so the original color is showing through. Or is the decal itself red and fades to transparent over the black?

Either way it's interesting. Definitely gets my vote for a Special Build. I love the interior. I feel like I've seen the car before on Motorgeek, so I might have to dig around there and see if there's some more history for you.

-Rog
Thanks for you help Rog. Yeah they are decals that fade from red to black and match the paint color, the red and black. I can take a close up of the rings tomorrow for you. AND, i forgot to mention there is white and black pin stripping going down both sides contouring the body. is that normal for coupe?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and the side skirts are confusing. the lower half of the doors and panels are black, the rocker panel is red(as in pic) and the bottom part of the body/frame is the black again..