New and seriously considering a Coupe GT

Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and seriously considering a Coupe GT

Greetings,

I've found an '87 Coupe GT. It's an automatic and the windshield is cracked, and the digital dash is out. But there's something about it, and it has no rust...

I'm a former Scirocco guy and currently drive an '85 Wolfsburg Westfalia that I put a Subaru 2.2 in a few years back. The Vanagon is a lifetime project, but I'm looking for a second vehicle.

It runs, drives, and needs some help. I think I can get it for around $1200.

I guess I'm looking for a little guidance--I know the motor is bulletproof, I've read that the auto transmission can be problematic (although this one shifts very smoothly.) Is it impossible to get a windshield? Could the digital dash just be a bulb issue?

I think I can turn it into an around-town cruiser. I'm grappling with the decision,though. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe T.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, that's a tough one...

I know the windshields are hard to get, but you might get lucky. For instance, the 4000 ones are NLA but my local Safelite was able to get one from their warehouse (and actually had several more if I wanted them). It was about $180 installed. A big mwahahaha to all the group buys on them where they want $500+. So totally worth calling around. You'll likely be able to find a few in junkyards as well. Of course they're going to be pitted, but it beats an undrivable cracked one.

I passionately hate the digital dashes, so I can't help you directly, but there is a scan of the repair manual here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~groovy_mo...ash/index.html

I wouldn't worry about the transmission too much. If it ever goes then that's an excuse to swap in a 5-speed.

It's definitely all fixable.

-Rog
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am going to second all of Rog's sage advice. The windshields are hard to come by, but not impossible. Someone over on quattroworld just put together a group buy on them. A friend of mine purchased one...nice piece of glass. I think he paid $275.00 for it.

The digi dashes can be problematic. It could be a bulb issue, but often times it is something more. Used one's pop up from time to time. They will stop counting mileage once they reach 310,000 mi/500,000 km.

The automatics are not the strongest link in the chain, but not the weakest either. As far as swapping to a manual down the road....it is not an easy swap. The tunnels in the automatic cars are different than the manual trans cars. So, you have to cut the tunnels out and weld a new one in. Lots of work....

The car is fun to drive, even with the three speed auto.

You may want to make sure you can source a windshield and some digi dash parts before pulling the trigger.

How's the rest of the car? Interior condition? Paint? ETC....

$1200.00 might be a little ambitious considering what it needs aren't easy parts to come by. But if the car is otherwise super clean, then it may be worth it.

Clean Coupes are starting to get a bit of following, so it may be a decent investment that you will also get lots of enjoyment out of.

Just my .02

Good luck with your perspective purchase.

Cheers,

Ted H.
82 4000 4E
86 Coupe GT
90 V8 quattro
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much for your responses. While I find myself really wanting a Coupe GT, my gut told me to pass on this one. The body and interior were in good shape, but it had been sitting a while and was going to need a good bit of work just to get it up and running. The digital dash, windshield, and automatic were the dealbreakers.

So, the search will continue. I'll find a better one and report back.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't buy an auto unless you have no left foot.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mixtery
Don't buy an auto unless you have no left foot.
Now, now...behave!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Automatic ramblings....

Originally Posted by teach
Now, now...behave!
I think we can all agree that your cars are the exception to the "no left foot rule." As your cars are all quite exceptional.

Cheers,

Ted
82 4000 4E
86 Coupe GT
90 V8 quattro
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

wow, I'm shocked no one asked him if it had color matched mirrors and spoiler and if it had disc brakes...SB...just saying..noob looking to buy an 87...+...a 1/2 ?? and no one asks???
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercoupe
wow, I'm shocked no one asked him if it had color matched mirrors and spoiler and if it had disc brakes...SB...just saying..noob looking to buy an 87...+...a 1/2 ?? and no one asks???
If it's an auto then it's not a Special Build. All Coupe GTs in '87 had the digital dash (or at least it was a very commonly ordered option), so that's not particularly going to be evidence. There's nothing else that would make me think Special Build. Aside from the NG engine, those are kind of a pain in the butt anyway. You have to really love them.

-Rog
Old 04-11-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rogviler
If it's an auto then it's not a Special Build.

-Rog
I don't think that is true. I have known of at least one SB that was an auto....an older couple were the original owners, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New and seriously considering a Coupe GT