Only left side signals flashing when hazard switch is on. (1985 Audi Coupe GT)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only left side signals flashing when hazard switch is on. (1985 Audi Coupe GT)

Hello all, I picked up a 1985 Audi Coupe GT a couple months ago and was preparing it for a safety check so that I can licence it (This is my first time posting on this forum!). While checking to make sure the signals and hazards were working I discovered that when the hazard switch was turned on, only the left side signal lights flashed. I'll go into the trouble shooting I have already done.

- When every other light was in the of position, the hazard switch only causes the left side blinkers to work
- All other lights / signals work fine
- I can get all four signals to blink when the hazard switch is on, and the right signal switch is on
- when the hazard switch is on, both signal indicator lights and the hazard indicator light on the instrument cluster flash normally

- I read up on similar issues and decided to check the signal/blinker relay (the one clipped onto the back of the instrument cluster, behind the tachometer), I had a spare relay and switch it out, but nothing seems to have changed
- I don't have a replacement hazard switch, but I had read something about the hazard switches on these cars being a bit finicky.

Not sure where to go from here, all the lights work and the blinker relay seems to be fine... Does this sound like a problem with the hazard switch? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grounds for the rear lights on the cgt are a known problem. I have A ground wire run from the light assembly to the body.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help, grounds weren't the problem though. I took a look at the wiring diagram, and did some more testing and it pointed to either the signal switch or hazard switch being the problem. Seeing as there was a recall some point on the hazard switch and that the signals seemed to be working fine, I figured I would take a look at the hazard switch first. I pulled the hazard switch apart to find lots of corrosion on the contacts. I cleaned it up with some emery cloth and contact cleaner and that did the trick!